No audio from line in with Sonar Platinum

Jean Claude

Hello everyone

I've got a strange problem on my computer

I am running Sonar Platinum on a  my Dell Precision Tower 3620 with Windows 10 Pro, 64 bits. I'm using Asio4all.

When I plug my bass trought the line in jack, it works great. I can hear the sound of the bass from my speakers.

But as soon as I open Sonar Platinum, I can no longer hear the sound of the bass in the speakers. However, I can see the audio input level in the monitor when I play and I also can record the bass.

I never encountered that type of problem on my previous computer.

Any ideas someone?

Edited by Jean Claude

You will have nothing but trouble trying to record audio with a on board sound card. You can do a lot with on board but I recommend a proper ASIO audio interface if recording audio is part of your plans.

# 1 is your tracks will not be in sync without  an ASIO driver. And on board does not support ASIO with any degree of success.

Asio4all is not ASIO it is a wrapper for WDM mode. WASAPI is the best driver mode for on board. 

I would use the RCA tape outputs and a RCA to 1/8” cable you used to get cheap at dollar stores when those MP3 players were popular. I still have a collection of them because I also used them from my laptop to my home stereo and my PA mixer. 
Actually the worst issue is if you record silence the noise floor would be horrendous like 45db. The audio input circuit is worth about $3.00. Outputs are normally much better quality but nobody who builds computers would be expecting some one to use the input for anything but a Skype call 

Edited by John Vere

Thank you for all your answers.

It appears that this is a known issue with the Dell integrated audio. So, I won't try to go any further to solve this problem from my computer.

I have succeded to make it work using a small mixer like you did @John Vere

The problem is now solved :)

Edited by Jean Claude
  • Like 1