Edit MIDI by Velocity

Doug Walker

I am trying to delete some notes that were entered by an overly sensitive kick drum controller.  I'd rather not have the drummer play the part again.

What I thought I could do:

• Click the kick drum "note" in the PRV
  • Select "Show Velocity on Selected Notes Only"
  • Right-click and select everything below a certain value.
  • Delete

It looks like it will work, but if I'm using the smart tool, as soon as I click the right mouse button all the velocities disappear and it selects all notes (not just the kick drum) that are in the selection field anyway.

If I switch to just the select tool, the velocities stay there, but it selects all notes as well (again, not just the kick drum)--even though I've select only the kick drum.

Any ideas?

Try Edit->Select->By Filter:

image.png.bf15b636552417a7a29ae3dcc7f47e90.png

You can use this to only select Kick Drum notes over certain velocities by setting the note min/max to just the kick drum, and the min velocity to what you need.

Once it's in your selection, you're free to delete, or Process->Scale Velocity, or whatever.

I would recommend the TRANSFORM  tool in the velocity pane of Piano Roll View. -you can set the selection box to " grab " only the ranges of the errant kicks and push or pull just those chosen notes to where you need them. This lets you keep the notes as played timing wise. If you want to kill those notes then right click the mouse and select from upper right to lower left to select just that range of note ( the box highlights in blue ) and hit the delete button. It's very fast and intuitive - once you've done it a few times.

15 hours ago, RBH said:

I would recommend the TRANSFORM  tool in the velocity pane of Piano Roll View. -you can set the selection box to " grab " only the ranges of the errant kicks and push or pull just those chosen notes to where you need them. This lets you keep the notes as played timing wise. If you want to kill those notes then right click the mouse and select from upper right to lower left to select just that range of note ( the box highlights in blue ) and hit the delete button. It's very fast and intuitive - once you've done it a few times.

I should have been clearer in my OP.  What you're describing in the second part is exactly what I'm doing.  In the velocity pane, if I have  "Show Velocity on Selected Notes Only" selected (so that I am only processing the kick drum notes), as soon as I right-click in the velocity pane, all of the velocity representations disappear.   If I proceed with the selection (blindly), then ANY notes in the PRV above will be selected--not just kick drum notes.  I'm thinking this may be a bug.

I'm doing this to reduce clutter while trying to leave ghost notes/feather kicks, so the transform tool isn't exactly what I need.

The method msmcleod posted above seems to work.