Time correcting a full drum kit w Audio Snap

yogimusic

Hello, Can someone tell me of it's possible and how to time correct a full drum kit with multiple mics using Audio Snap? I've had good luck bouncing the individual tracks to one stereo track then time correcting it. When I try to do multiple. the tracks become jumbled and not aligned.

Please provide me the appropriate settings for  "Clip follows project" drop down has (Beat, Measure, Clip, Auto stretch).

Also please provide me the correct online and offline settings (Percussion, Default, Eleastic pro, Default etc)

All of the settings would be helpful (-:

Thanks,

Yogi

You will want to identify one track to be used as the 'master' guide track (or possibly bounce two together - e.g. kick and snare - and use that), and 'Add to Pool' the markers from that track after ensuring they are locked to their respective beats. Then 'Apply' those markers to the other tracks so that they are all using the same reference for Clip Follows Project. With the markers all correctly locked to their respective beats, and shared across all clips, executing Clip Follows Project with the 'Beats' option should keep them all in sync and phase as they are stretched to fit the project. Merge and Lock markers can also be used, but I think applying a common set of markers from one 'master' track is clearer and less error-prone.

To prevent phase errors, you should use the same algorithm on every track. It's best just to try them all, and see which gives the best result. Since I'm primarily a 'MIDI guy', I don't often have a need to stretch audio, but I've generally found that the generic Groove Clip algorithm often gives the most 'transparent' result, and the highly acclaimed Elastique Pro can sometimes grotesquely displace and/or distort a transient at particular location that ruins an otherwise good result. YMMV.

There used to be a drum editing video that showed how to do this but I haven't been able to find it recently

In essense (and simplistically)

- Group all your drum tracks together

- Enable audio snap on all the tracks and adjust the threshold to get the best transient detection

- Use one track, I usually use the kick or snare, and find where you want to adjust the timing

- double click the transient marker and all associated markers in the other grouped tracks should highlight within a specified time threshold

- move the transient marker to stretch or shrink the drum to the correct time.

YOu can also split the drums into clips using the transient markers and then move the clips them selves if the timing isnt too far off. Again, use grouped clips to keep the tracks in phase.

This thread  on the old forum is a good place to start: http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3387974

It's for an old version of SONAR and some of the tips are a little out of date now because there's been a bit of work done on algorithms, etc since then, but between all of our ideas, you should find a technique that works best for you. :)

Edit: I'd suggest Elastique Efficient for online and Pro for offline, but definitely give the others a try, you might find the others will work better on your material. If I remember right, Elastique wasn't added at the time of that thread.

Edited by Lord Tim