Track volume/level does not change when CC7 is in event list

What happens with CC7 is entirely up to the instrument. Even though CC7 (and CC1) are the most widely-implemented controllers, they're not universal. A synth may allow runtime conversion of CC7 to some other value, use it for a nonstandard purpose, or ignore it completely.

However, there are other possible reasons for CCs in general to be ignored. Every CC command carries a MIDI channel number; if it's different from the instrument's assigned channel, the synth will ignore it. This is possible when you hand-plant a CC7 via the Event List. If that's how you're adding the CC7 event, try using an automation envelope instead, which should always have the correct MIDI channel. 

In the old midi days I would have used the cc events but now I do as bitflipper and I treat midi as audio. 
Best to draw the automation on the instrument (audio) track. Unless you only desire 1 midi track out of others using the same instrument to be changed, then you can draw it on the midi track.  
Another method to swell a midi track is to draw a velocity from 0 to ? In PVR controller pane 

6 hours ago, John Vere said:

In the old midi days I would have used the cc events but now I do as bitflipper and I treat midi as audio. 
Best to draw the automation on the instrument (audio) track. Unless you only desire 1 midi track out of others using the same instrument to be changed, then you can draw it on the midi track.  
Another method to swell a midi track is to draw a velocity from 0 to ? In PVR controller pane 

Agreed - velocity can be a good way to change some of the multiple tracks leading to one synth output. Sometimes I do this for separate drums parts.

On the initial question I would agree with Bitflipper. Make sure the particular synth & selected sound can respond to a Volume change using the Automation envelope. Maybe try the same with a velocity envelope.

Make sure that another track isn't overriding your changes. Lets say you accidentally created a velocity envelope on another track that sends to the same synth & channel. Solo your track see if that clears it up. If it does another track is sending a conflicting CC.