Jump to content
Matty L'Ange

Cakewalk Plugins Not Working

Recommended Posts

Hi there! I am new to using Cakewalk, I installed it for the first time two ago. I recently have followed a YouTube video on how to set up and start using Cakewalk. Here is the link to that video.  After I followed the step of settinm up the vst plugins, my plugins don't start to work. Cake walk says that is ditects 44 plugins, but I'm not able to use any of them in the software. I've attched a photo to this post that shows that I have Instrument plugins installed in my plugins. (They are 32 bit however my friend says that it doesn't really matter) Neither of us could figure what was wrong. I am wondering if anyone here has had the same problem or can shade some light on what I need to do! Thank you! 

 

Capture 2.PNG

Capture.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have the Studio Instrument Suite installed?  It has to be installed through the BandLab Assistant.  Just to the right of the Cakewalk button is a down arrow.  Clicking on the down arrow opens a new window with check box selections for the Studio Instrument Suite, a trial version of Melodyne, The Cakewalk (GUI) Theme Editor and the Cakewalk Drum Replacer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, scook said:

Try running a VST reset from preferences.

The instruments are showing in the audio effects plugins. That is why they don't work.

If the VST reset works they will be in the browser under instruments.

In the video, at time 03:12 he adds an instrument. Do it the same way. Notice that after clicking + he clicks Instrument.

Edited by Nigel Mackay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2021 at 9:50 PM, Jim Fogle said:

Do you have the Studio Instrument Suite installed?  It has to be installed through the BandLab Assistant.  Just to the right of the Cakewalk button is a down arrow.  Clicking on the down arrow opens a new window with check box selections for the Studio Instrument Suite, a trial version of Melodyne, The Cakewalk (GUI) Theme Editor and the Cakewalk Drum Replacer.

Hi Jim!Thank you so much for the response! I do have The instrument suit installed, At first I didn't, but now that I have that nothing has changed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2021 at 12:12 AM, Nigel Mackay said:

The instruments are showing in the audio effects plugins. That is why they don't work.

If the VST reset works they will be in the browser under instruments.

In the video, at time 03:12 he adds an instrument. Do it the same way. Notice that after clicking + he clicks Instrument.

Hi Nigal! Thank you for you response! I see what you mean and I do click on the instruments when I do "Add new" Resetting in Preferences didn't work, is there another way I can put my uncatigorized instruments into the instruments section in my plugins?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Matty L'Ange,

Open the Uncategorized folder to find a VSTi.

Left click on the name of the VSTi to highlight it.

Right click on the VSTi name to open the  VSTi "Properties" window.

Select the desired category (folder) from the Category drop down menu.   Note the Properties window calls folder names "Category".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

@Matty L'Ange,

Open the Uncategorized folder to find a VSTi.

Left click on the name of the VSTi to highlight it.

Right click on the VSTi name to open the  VSTi "Properties" window.

Select the desired category (folder) from the Category drop down menu.   Note the Properties window calls folder names "Category".

@Jim Fogle Sorry,  I couldn't a VSTI in any of my plugins

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Matty L'Ange,

I'm sorry, I mispoke.  The Studio Instrument Suite of virtual instruments are DXi virtual instruments, not VSTi virtual instruments.  However you should be able to find them in the media browser; likely under the Uncatogorized folder.

Here's how to get to the virtual instruments:

Open the browser by selecting the letter "b" on your computer keyboard.

Select the "Plugins" tab.

Select the "Instruments" tab.

 

Clipboard50.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

The Studio Instrument Suite of virtual instruments are DXi virtual instruments, not VSTi virtual instruments. 

Actually, they are VSTi's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 1:22 PM, Starship Krupa said:

Actually, they are VSTi's.

So I was right the first time, imagine that.

Is the TTS-1 DXi?  I seem to remember reading either the Studio Instruments Suite or TTS-1 is a DXi.

Related question, when using the browser, how do you visually tell the difference between a VSTi and DXi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TTS-1 is a DX plug-in.

There are several plug-in format indicators:

  • The plug-in browser may use different icons and colors. These are theme dependent.
  • There is a "Sort by Type" layout
  • Unlike VST2/3, DX plug-ins do not have a drop down in the standard header above the plug-in UI like this one above the Rapture Pro VST3

5YTHJ7V.png

I am surprised a VST reset failed. In the past, this corrected SI suite initial scan failures.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

Related question, when using the browser, how do you visually tell the difference between a VSTi and DXi?

If you're using one of the factory themes (Mercury, Tungsten), look closely at the small icon to the left of the instrument's name. It's different for each type of plug-in, VST2, VST3 or DX.

If you use one of @Colin Nicholls' themes or my own Racing Green, they feature a more differentiated set of icons in this location which Colin created and kindly allowed me to use. Each icon also has its own color, making it so that you don't have to squint to see right away.

And I do recommend using a custom theme if you can find one you like. A good theme can make Cakewalk easier on the eyes, more inviting to use, etc. I chose green because my eyes "relax" better with it. I go back to the green-on-black monitor days and still like that color combo.

His themes (and mine) also feature more contrasting colors for the names themselves, which is a themeable item.

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...