Why does CbB keep asking for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\Disable Performance Counters?

Matthew Sorrels

Question

So in a vain and foolish attempt to figure out why Sampletank 4 crashes CbB every time I insert it I ran Microsoft's Sysinternals Process Monitor on Cakewalk and noticed something a bit odd.  CbB seems to be querying the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\Disable Performance Counters over and over and over and over and over again.  And since it doesn't exist, it keeps getting an error.  This can't be good.  It could be something about my machine (I develop software so I have a ton of development tools installed) .  But it really should only check it once I'd think.

To reproduce this, run procmon and filter for process name contains cakewalk.  Start Cakewalk.exe make a new blank project.  I'm running the most recent build 2019.03 (Build 20, 64 bit).  I'm not sure if it was doing this before I updated this morning.

Oddly enough running procmon causes Sampletank 4 not to crash on insert.  Perhaps there is some sort of multi-thread race condition in CbB?  This machine is a i9-9960x with 16 physical cores.  ST4 works fine in Cubase and Reaper but in CbB and SONAR Plat it crashes (without a crash catcher) every time I add it.

c1WH0D.jpg

2 answers to this question

Yes closing the performance monitor does stop it, it is definitely something to do with reading the CPU usage.  Also creating the key and setting it to 1 stops it (and the CPU meters).  Creating it and setting it to 0 (the default value) it still keeps getting queried (though it doesn't get a not found error).  Does it effect performance?  Probably not, but perhaps something that could be improved on.  Doesn't effect my Sampletank problem, but at this point I've given up on Sampletank and CbB.  Near as I can tell it's just this machine (which I just built) no one else is complaining about it.  If that changes perhaps it will get fixed too.