Soundspot at Plugin Boutique 5 for 5iver bundle

aidan o driscoll

Quick review of what's included in each:

In the Mastering bundle, Firefly is a nice enough bus compressor, Overtone is great mastering EQ, with way useful mid-side functionality, Percolate is utter 5hite (and it's meant to be a track processor, not a bus processor), Oracle is interesting as a character effect reverb (freeware Valhalla SuperMassive is more interesting), but no way I would use it for "mastering," and the freeware bx_cleansweep knocks Focus into the creek.

So you're getting 2 plug-ins that are, IMO, useful for "mastering," although in the case of Firefly, SoundSpot's own Cyclone is a much better plug-in. And a mastering bundle without a limiter? C'mon, they're just throwing darts.

If they had included Cyclone and Velo 2, it would be worthy of the name "Mastering Bundle."

In the Vocal one, Voxbox does what other plug-ins like freeware iZotope Vocal Doubler does, but I do like its GUI. The representation of what it's doing to the stereo field is my favorite. Propane is a mid-side processor, doesn't do anything that freeware Voxengo MSED does and more. Firefly and Oracle, then KINETIK, which is exactly as described, "KINETIK is a Compressor, EQ and Overdrive in one single easy to use plugin." I've tried it on several sources, and it sound good, but at this stage of my development as a mix engineer, I find myself reaching for individual plug-ins moreso than all-in-ones. I wouldn't throw KINETIK on a vocal, not one I wanted to "pop." For EDM booty-moving, yeah.

So, 3 worthy plug-ins. Again, "Vocal Bundle?" Voxbox is the only one that fits the description. Is anyone home at SoundSpot?

Verdict: unless you specifically want Firefly, KINETIK, and Oracle, or Overtone, pass. The rest are just clutter. Overtone is worth the fiver.

(if you need something to qualify for this month's freebies, SoundSpot, as ever, is a good way to do it, and why I know so much about them 😄 but you can pick up a Glitchmachine instead)

• Thanks 1