Save As New Project Bug (I Think)

Bill Phillips

Question

In the GIF below I'm trying to save a copy of a project as a new project in a separate folder.  Trying to do that in the folder with the original project you can see that the new project will be in the same folder as the original project and that they will share an audio folder. However if I select the empty folder with the same name as the new project, a second folder with the same name as new project is created.

Am I doing something wrong?

HfYyb6y.gif

20 answers to this question

Sigh. No, it's not you, it's designed this way. Even though you can specify the path in the dialog, and the dialog accepts it, it goes ahead and does what it wants. It thinks it's protecting you by always creating a file structure below where you create the project every time it creates a new project.

I and others have complained about it to no avail. I would like it to at least not lie to us and tell us that it's going to do one thing and then do another. It's supposed to prevent people from losing track of their files, but in my case it had the opposite effect until I figured out what it was up to.

Edited by Starship Krupa

21 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Sigh. No, it's not you, it's designed this way. Even though you can specify the path in the dialog, and the dialog accepts it, it goes ahead and does what it wants. It thinks it's protecting you by always creating a file structure below where you create the project every time it creates a new project.

I and others have complained about it to no avail. I would like it to at least not lie to us and tell us that it's going to do one thing and then do another. It's supposed to prevent people from losing track of their files, but in my case it had the opposite effect until I figured out what it was up to.

Thanks. At least I know now.😟

If you would like to be a voice for change, please say something in the Feedback sub. You went to some trouble to make that nice animated picture.

I and others will likely chime in, and who knows, it might get amended. As I said, I would at least like the dialog to stop misleading the user as to what it's going to do.

If it must create a whole new directory tree below a folder I specify, then it should say so: "Specify where to create the new project structure" I don't want it to pretend to give me control over what's going to happen and then override it without telling me (I won't make the obvious joke here because it would likely violate forum rules).

8 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

If you would like to be a voice for change, please say something in the Feedback sub. You went to some trouble to make that nice animated picture.

I and others will likely chime in, and who knows, it might get amended. As I said, I would at least like the dialog to stop misleading the user as to what it's going to do.

If it must create a whole new directory tree below a folder I specify, then it should say so: "Specify where to create the new project structure" I don't want it to pretend to give me control over what's going to happen and then override it without telling me (I won't make the obvious joke here because it would likely violate forum rules).

Ok. Will do.

It is not clear what the exercise is but my guess is it may be due to "Copy all audio with project" being enabled.

I keep multiple copies of the same project in the same folder and use the original audio folder. To do this

• disable "Copy all audio with project" in "Save As" or "Save Copy As"
  • name the project copy
  • save

To put a copy of the project file into a new folder and use the original audio folder

• disable "Copy all audio with project" in "Save As" or "Save Copy As",
  • create the new project folder,
  • enter the new folder and save.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scook said:

It is not clear what the exercise is but my guess is it may be due to "Copy all audio with project" being enabled.

I keep multiple copies of the same project in the same folder and use the original audio folder. To do this

• disable "Copy all audio with project" in "Save As" or "Save Copy As"
  • name the project copy
  • save

To put a copy of the project file into a new folder and use the original audio folder

• disable "Copy all audio with project" in "Save As" or "Save Copy As",
  • create the new project folder,
  • enter the new folder and save.

Thanks. I use the first one a lot but not the second one. In the GIF I was creating a project including audio to a new folder. However that's not what happened. I've sense as @Starship Krupa suggested re-posted in the 2020.08 Feedback post and been advised that it's a known problem which will be resolved in due time which is fine with me. I have work-arounds.

• Like 1

I have never nested projects underneath an existing project but I have complete versions of projects along side the original project in a folder. To do this

• create a master project folder (typically in the project files path in preferences but it does not have to be there)
  • create the original project in the master project folder
  • use "Save As" or "Save As Copy" to navigate up out of the original project folder to create the new project at the same level as the original project in the master folder
  • name the new project and verify "Copy all audio with project" is enabled
  • save

1 hour ago, scook said:

I have never nested projects underneath an existing project but I have complete versions of projects along side the original project in a folder. To do this

• create a master project folder (typically in the project files path in preferences but it does not have to be there)
  • create the original project in the master project folder
  • use "Save As" or "Save As Copy" to navigate up out of the original project folder to create the new project at the same level as the original project in the master folder
  • name the new project and verify "Copy all audio with project" is enabled
  • save

I can't speak for others, but when I read @scook's previous explanation of the relationship between [ ] Copy all audio and the automatic audio subdirectory creation, something "clicked" and I'm now comfortable with how Cakewalk handles the Save As process.

For what it's worth.

37 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I can't speak for others, but when I read @scook's previous explanation of the relationship between [ ] Copy all audio and the automatic audio subdirectory creation, something "clicked" and I'm now comfortable with how Cakewalk handles the Save As process.

For what it's worth.

Ditto. Just worked like a charm for me. I actually have a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + Shft + S) for "Save Copy As." Though I didn't say so, that's what I was using in the GIF in my OP.

I use project folders and nest folders in that folder for recording, and mixing iterations. I know it's redundant but I tick "Copy all audio with project" for each of the mixes.  So I sat up a new project in that format and saved a copy of the "recording" project which is in it's own folder to as the "mix-1" project in it's own folder. So worked like a charm. So I'm happy and will write of what happened in my OP to operator error. However, I've had enough strange things happen when using (what I think is) this procedure. So when I run into another anomaly, I'll submit a new GIF.

This has nothing to do with Copy all audio or any esoteric design intent. It was a simple bug in the code that was wiping out the user settings when you OK'd the dialog.
There is logic to change the audio folder paths based on changes to the file name (this is used when saving a new project). That was being unexpectedly executed causing the problem.

Its been fixed for the next update.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 8/27/2020 at 1:03 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

This has nothing to do with Copy all audio or any esoteric design intent. It was a simple bug in the code that was wiping out the user settings when you OK'd the dialog.

What I suspected. My headache was that it let me type all that stuff in, then ignored it.

The reason I thought it was "as designed" was that I brought this up a while back and Jon (I think) told me that it was set up that way so that users wouldn't lose track of their audio files. I think he misunderstood what I was saying and I misunderstood what he was saying so I didn't file a formal report.

I do appreciate how you guys are willing to wade into the ancient code and pull these weeds. Props due.

On 8/27/2020 at 4:03 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

There is logic to change the audio folder paths based on changes to the file name (this is used when saving a new project). That was being unexpectedly executed causing the problem.

Its been fixed for the next update.

Any chance of offering audio file name construct options for inclusion/exclusion? The default file naming is great and works well as long as your heads screwed on straight. Problem for me is that mine spends a lot of time cross-threaded. 🙄

Edited by Bill Phillips
typo