Windows Insider Program

Bill Phillips

Question

I just joined the Windows Insider Program. Is anyone else in the Insider Program? Any thoughts on whether or not it's worthwhile? I'm thinking as a Cakewalk user, I'll be providing info on Cakewalk performance to Microsoft which seems useful to Cakewalk users and I may get some tips on optimizing my PC for Cakewalk.

Before making this post, I searched the forum for posts on the Insider Program and didn't find anything less than a year old. Looks like it's not that popular with Cakewalk users and might mean it's a bad idea. Also I recently tried to install the 2004 update but it failed twice. It appears a lot of people had that problem. So I figured I'd wait a few weeks to try it again.

2 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

I just joined the Windows Insider Program. Is anyone else in the Insider Program? Any thoughts on whether or not it's worthwhile? I'm thinking as a Cakewalk user, I'll be providing info on Cakewalk performance to Microsoft which seems useful to Cakewalk users and I may get some tips on optimizing my PC for Cakewalk.

Before making this post, I searched the forum for posts on the Insider Program and didn't find anything less than a year old. Looks like it's not that popular with Cakewalk users and might mean it's a bad idea. Also I recently tried to install the 2004 update but it failed twice. It appears a lot of people had that problem. So I figured I'd wait a few weeks to try it again.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I would not join the insider's program and place a non officially released version of Windows 10 on any production PC.  This amounts to installing a BETA version of Windows 10, something I would not want on any production PC.  Now, you are going to have users on her who have joined the insider's program who swear black and blue that they have no issues.  However, I just would not risk it on a production PC that will be used to meet deadlines.

If you do have a separate PC that you can tolerate possible issues that may come up, then by all mean, join the insider's program

Edited by Promidi
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Promidi said:

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I would not join the insider's program and place a non officially released version of Windows 10 on any production PC.  This amounts to installing a BETA version of Windows 10, something I would not want on any production PC.

If you do have a separate machine that you can tolerate issues that may come up, then by all mean, join the insider's program

That makes sense and historically, I've taken the same approach. I think I'm softening up (or maybe getting more reckless) because I've become very comfortable with Windows 10 and am not so worried anymore about fatal flaws. I'm hoping that when I do have problems, I can provide feedback and then drop back to my last working build, like I did when 2004 blue-screened twice.