Recording several vst instruments

Marc R.

Question

Hi,

I`m new to Cakewalk ( and DAWs ) and even after watching tutorials etc I must be doing something terribly wrong,

so I`d ask anyone to help me out.

The thing is, recording one vst instrument is fine. But when I start recording another one, or a third one, fourth one,

they do not work / sound individually / independently, i.e.  the second one plays the melody of the very first vst, for example.

I just can`t make them sound independent from the first or previously recorded vst. So it is impossible to record more than one track !

I must be doing something terribly wrong. As I said, I have already watched tutorials about vst or midi recording in Cakewalk

but so far I haven`t been able to fix that. What am I doing wrong ? Can anybody hlp me ?

Kind regards, Marc

3 answers to this question

This can be the result of -

1. plug-ins set to "Enable MIDI Output." This option is in the standard header VST2/3 drop down above the plug-in UI. as shown in this image

M9I2IRu.png

and

2. the input on the instrument/MIDI track is one of the "All Inputs" options. Tthe default is "All Inputs - Omni" so MIDI data coming from anywhere is picked up by the track.

Deselect "Enable MIDI Outputs" when not needed and setting the instrument/MIDI track input to a specific controller should help.

44 minutes ago, Marc Raude said:

The thing is, recording one vst instrument is fine. But when I start recording another one, or a third one, fourth one,

they do not work / sound individually / independently, i.e.  the second one plays the melody of the very first vst, for example.

I just can`t make them sound independent from the first or previously recorded vst. So it is impossible to record more than one track !

Are you (1) recording one track at a time, (2) channelizing each track's data, (3) directing each track's data to specific midi channels on specific VSTis, etc. (as opposed to recording multiple midi channels on your tracks and routing them to more than one midi channel and/or more than one VSTi)?

Apologies for coming at this from an old school perspective;  it might not be current practice to do it this way, but for some types of multi-track, multi-synth midi projects  over-simplification works for some of us.  

Edited by User 905133