Cakewalk Recording the Metronome

Derek

Okay... this is a weird one. I was about to use ReaFir on a track & I looped the hiss & noticed that the Metronome was faintly playing back.  I looked at the Metronome settings page & it's output was set to Metronome. I looked at the Metronome Bus & the output was set to Master. I changed the output on the Bus to my Audio Interface's Output & recorded another clip & it was still there. I went & changed the output in Metronome settings to my Audio Interface's Output & recorded a clip & nothing had changed. It's still there. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Sound clip: https://soundcloud.com/user-892506283/metronome/s-49LzK

Metronome.jpg

Metronome 2.jpg

Edited by D.Nasty

1 minute ago, scook said:

Likely an issue with signal routing in the audio interface

I just used the "Basic" template. I didn't route anything. I just tried it again. I opened Cakewalk, chose the "Basic" template, loaded Ignite Amps Emissary onto my Audio Track, set the Metronome Output to my Interface's Output, turned on Input Echo & recorded the hiss from the amp sim. I played it back & could hear the Metronome.

10 minutes ago, scook said:

Likely an issue with signal routing in the audio interface

What do you mean by "routing in the audio interface"? I'm using a Gen 2 Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & I don't know of any routing options. All I see is Sample Rate & Buffer settings in the software.

There's a program called "Mixing & Routing" in the Focusrite folder in my Start menu but I've tried to open it & nothing happens. I tried to "Run As Administrator" & nothing...

Edited by D.Nasty

7 minutes ago, scook said:

Have never used a Focusrite interface. If the program is in the start menu, it might already be running in the background with an icon in the notification area.

The only Focusrite program that's on my system is the Focusrite Settings program. No routing options.

Focusrite.jpg

If its a guitar sim and your using a mic, it could be faintly picking it up in the background if your playing through speakers for monitoring.

If its a VST plug in with no mic it could be being picked up through the pick ups.

What kind of VST plug in are you using that needs input echo ? im guessing a guitar sim, especially with that hiss, it sounds like guitar hum, hiss, buzz.

19 minutes ago, chuckebaby said:

If its a guitar sim and your using a mic, it could be faintly picking it up in the background if your playing through speakers for monitoring.

If its a VST plug in with no mic it could be being picked up through the pick ups.

What kind of VST plug in are you using that needs input echo ? im guessing a guitar sim, especially with that hiss, it sounds like guitar hum, hiss, buzz.

I'm not using a microphone. It's not being recorded through the pickups. I tried it with the guitar unplugged.

I'm using STL Tones Emissary. It's a guitar amp sim.

That's gotta be bleed between the analog output and input sections of the interface.  Sounds like the input sensitivity is cranked, which is exacerbating the issue. Try recording a flatline on a track with no input, and a drum track or something with loud transients playing back with no metronome. If you hear that playback track in your recording, it's an analog isolation problem.

4 minutes ago, David Baay said:

That's gotta be bleed between the analog output and input sections of the interface.  Sounds like the input sensitivity is cranked, which is exacerbating the issue. Try recording a flatline on a track with no input, and a drum track or something with loud transients playing back with no metronome. If you hear that playback track in your recording, it's an analog isolation problem.

When you say "input sensitivity", do you mean the Gain on the interface?

I'm going to try what you said right now. I'll report back in a few.

10 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I can't record a track with no input. As soon as I arm the track it assigns an input. I recorded one without the Input Echo on with drums playing & I heard the drums on the blank track. I think you're right. Now... how can I fix this?

Just now, David Baay said:

Yes, input gain on the interface.

My input gain was around 10/11 o'clock. I was about -6 Peak. That amp sim is really high gain & it hisses. I can put it on a track with no guitar plugged in & as soon as I turn the Input Echo on it's just like the sound clip I attached.

9 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I meant no input signal - either nothing connected or a silent audio source like a keyboard synth, tape/CD/MP3 player, etc.

I did that. I can't hear the drums on the track unless I add that amp sim & let it hiss or add a ton of volume to the track. Either way... I know it's there & I have to fix it. Do you know how I can do that?

Edited by D.Nasty

3 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Pretty faint. If you Google 'Focusrite analog bleed problem', you'll get a some hits. Not sure how common or noticeable this problem is with different interfaces, but I do recall it coming up in reference to Focusrite in the past.

I just found a thread on this topic. A guy wrote:

"I contacted Focusrite support last year because of that ... and the answer was:

.... .. The monitor knob on the 2i2 is just an analogue potentiometer, so even when turned fully down, some signal can still pass through the outputs. There is not a switch to cut off any signal when it is positioned at zero. You may find that turning down the gain on your monitor speakers may help this but the best option if you are just using headphones is to switch off your speakers."

All I can say is wow...