Workspace Question

Johnbee58

Hello and Happy 2020 to all!

I did the latest update.  I started working with customizing my Workspace and the way I figured it out is fine except is there any way to have it save a workspace the way I last saved it without undoing the workspace that I created and saved?  For instance, my saved workspace has the full console view without the track view or browser or anything else visible.  But if I'm in the middle of working on a mix (when I'm in the middle of adjusting volume envelopes or automation, etc), I'd like to be able to save it as is and return to it in the condition I saved it last (track view, browser visible, etc) .  Is there any way to do that, or just restore the default workspace?

Thanks

😊John B

22 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

. . . is there any way to have it save a workspace the way I last saved it without undoing the workspace that I created and saved? 

I usually create new with the current Workspace as changed and then save it with a new name.

For example, I wanted to change my usual/current Workspace with a full screen Console on Monitor 2. So, after loading in my then-current Workspace, I set up the Console on Monitor 2, selected New, and saved it with the same name but with "-CONSOLE" appended to the name.

You might want to check Workspace Management to make sure you are saving everything you want restored.

PS: I suppose you could reuse "CURRENT" to avoid a build up of different Workspaces. I decided against recycling the same name. (You can see the result below.)  BTW, one of these days I will reduce the list by moving unused Workspaces into an Archives subfolder (which will not show up in the list--as of now).

image.thumb.png.a55725fbff6c2462f2d432f45f8b4a1c.png

Edited by User 905133
To add a PS and a related screenshot

Another option I tested, had some success with, but don't really use much is to save per-project screen sets. (Workspaces are global, as you probably know.) 

The theory was to save a screen set in slot one and lock it, with an unlocked duplicate in slot 10. For me it has been easier to have 90% setup in a Workspace and then just move things around as needed, so I don't much use the screen sets.

Just thought I'd mention it as an option in case it fits better with your workflow.

Thanks. I guess what I really want to know is how to get the little menus (Export, Markers...etc) on the upper right of the screen back to vertical blocks.  I hit the wrong key last time and they all became rectangular horizontal blocks across the top of the screen.  I want them back to the original vertical blocks on the upper right.

😀JB

36 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

Thanks. I guess what I really want to know is how to get the little menus (Export, Markers...etc) on the upper right of the screen back to vertical blocks.  I hit the wrong key last time and they all became rectangular horizontal blocks across the top of the screen.  I want them back to the original vertical blocks on the upper right.

😀JB

AHA!!!!  I think you are talking about the Control Bar.  Set that up the way you want. You can have them all collapsed vertically if you want or just some. Then make sure when you save the Workspaces all of the Control Bar options are selected to be saved (and then restored). See "Manage Workspaces..." at the bottom of the Workspaces drop down.

Aside: For some of my Workspaces I use horizontally collapsed module buttons in a collapsed Control Bar.  However, there is a bug in how it restores those which has been reported and logged in for fixing.  I mention this in case you might be interested in a narrow Control Bar at some point.

image.png.776c8ba0bac4e651c104abc1caa64e64.png

Edited by User 905133
to add a link to a discussion about the collapsed Control Bar