Nu Sonar, Quick Start screen not showing last saved version

Something I've noticed with the Nu Sonar . . . when you open Sonar to continue on working on your latest project, the date and time stamp displayed in the Quick Start screen does not reflect the last saved version you actually worked on. Anyone else noticed this ? So, I no longer trust which version I am opening from the Quick Start screen . . . such that I have to go to the Cakewalk Projects folder to make sure I'm opening my last saved version. Doesn't seem like the Quick Start screen is doing it's job to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, noynekker said:

Something I've noticed with the Nu Sonar . . . when you open Sonar to continue on working on your latest project, the date and time stamp displayed in the Quick Start screen does not reflect the last saved version you actually worked on. Anyone else noticed this ? So, I no longer trust which version I am opening from the Quick Start screen . . . such that I have to go to the Cakewalk Projects folder to make sure I'm opening my last saved version. Doesn't seem like the Quick Start screen is doing it's job to me.

No, not seeing that here.

I'm on version 2024.05 build 493 if that helps

Posted (edited)

I personally don’t like the new start screen at all. It’s labeling is confusing and yes I’ve noticed it doesn’t seem to place recently opened in order. I have returned to my old method of opening directly from my project folders. 

Note the clear simplicity of the old start screen. 3 options that say it all. 

Screenshot(143).thumb.png.d506ca54c8ef7f300dfdfbb883879975.png

Now this is what I normally see on first boot.

Screenshot(144).png.5f8fcc9ee2d7c7408bfa640a03281cb5.png

And the list is now not clear where my existing projects are? You have to toggle the Recent and All, this is annoying to me. Click, click click click, 

Screenshot(146).png.0dd11063c647fb0df3fc6f9e6e650b18.png

And this is obviously always on line and phoning home because there's a little blue circle every time you make a move. And what's with on line Projects?  I guess that's a Bandlab App thing?  It makes me want to go offline again. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

I've had this happen a few times, but, usually, it gets it right.  My problem is that when I click on a project to open it, it just sits there for several seconds before responding.  The same with opening the browser from the Quick Start screen, a delayed response that has fooled me into thinking it wasn't working.  I just got the latest version today, but it still has a 5 second delay in opening a project.  I think they need to take a look at this feature; otherwise, it works beautifully.

Thanks for the responses all . . . specifically my issue is with the time displayed. This morning when I go to open my project, it says 6:14 pm last night, and at the end of my file name it says (untitled) in brackets, yet my last saved version in Cakewalk Projects folder is 8:29 pm, and there is no version that has (untitled) at the end of the filename. Something ain't right, there is no way to refresh the view . . .

Curiously, if I open Cakewalk by BandLab . . . the start screen there has the time stamp correct, 8:29 pm, and I never even opened this project in CbB . . . though it correctly reads the last saved version from cakewalk projects folder . . . Nu Sonar does not. Looks like it is displaying the first time I opened the project yesterday (6:14 pm) and doesn't update to the time of last saved version.

12 hours ago, noynekker said:

I'll look into this. Is this when it's showing recent projects or all projects. Please list the exact version of sonar you are using from the about box.

I think I see where the confusion lies. It's listing the project duration in seconds not the modified time. It only shows the modified date currently not the time. I'll append the time to the modified date string to make it more clear.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

And this is obviously always on line and phoning home because there's a little blue circle every time you make a move

You are mistaken. The only time it connects is if the app isn't activated or you are accessing something from the online projects tab.  The blue circle just means that it may be busy caching data to build the project list.

You screen shows the membership page which means that your account isn't showing an active bandlab membership. That's expected. 

The default quick start shows recent projects because that is where most users will look first. It's also the fastest to load that list. When you select all if the user has hundreds of projects it could take a few seconds to populate which isn't a good user experience.

1 hour ago, noynekker said:

and there is no version that has (untitled) at the end of the filename. Something ain't right, there is no way to refresh the view .

The bracketed name is only shows when the file name differs from the project name. 

The bracketed text is the project name not the file name.

17 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I'll look into this. Is this when it's showing recent projects or all projects. Please list the exact version of sonar you are using from the about box.

@Noel Borthwick . . . Hi Noel, it's the very latest version (2024.05-BSP (Build 493)

It also occurred to me that it could be displaying the project length of 6:14, unlike CbB which displays the the time stamp of the last saved version. My project, when exported to audio is only 3:52 . . . so that would be 2 extra minutes. Makes no difference toggling between Recent Project or All Projects. If I do search in the Quick Start screen, it does not find my last saved version at all ? . . . but it finds many other previous versions.

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

You screen shows the membership page which means that your account isn't showing an active bandlab membership. That's expected. 

I had just updated this morning. See my post about thanks for the 59 bug fixes!  And of course I had to re log in which seems par for the course. But I am often greeted with that screen and that’s fine as long as all this goes away once we are in the clear of this early access/ Backstage pass annoyance. Looking forward to the big announcement! 

• Like 1

You should not need to re-log in (unless you manually logged out).
It is designed to automatically detect you are on the membership and auto activate without showing the membership page. 
If that is not happening and your membership is indeed active, then it's not working correctly.
Please verify whether you had manually signed out because there should be no reason to re-sign in otherwise.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 1:49 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

You are mistaken. The only time it connects is if the app isn't activated or you are accessing something from the online projects tab.  The blue circle just means that it may be busy caching data to build the project list.

The default quick start shows recent projects because that is where most users will look first. It's also the fastest to load that list. When you select all if the user has hundreds of projects it could take a few seconds to populate which isn't a good user experience.

To add to this: I did some further investigation and there is absolutely nothing happening when the start screen is open on the projects tab that would result in a a wait cursor showing. Keep in mind that the cursor is global in Windows across ALL applications. If you are seeing a wait cursor that keeps showing up when the start screen is open then it is caused by some other background process on your system. For example on my PC if I have visual studio running it will periodically throw a wait cursor while it does some background processing. This cursor will pop up on over the current application and appear that the app is doing something when its not.
Check task manager and shut down all background apps/web browsers etc if wait cursor's are bothering you.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

To add to this: I did some further investigation and there is absolutely nothing happening when the start screen is open on the projects tab that would result in a a wait cursor showing. Keep in mind that the cursor is global in Windows across ALL applications. If you are seeing a wait cursor that keeps showing up when the start screen is open then it is caused by some other background process on your system. For example on my PC if I have visual studio running it will periodically throw a wait cursor while it does some background processing. This cursor will pop up on over the current application and appear that the app is doing something when its not.
Check task manager and shut down all background apps/web browsers etc if wait cursor's are bothering you.

Thanks Noel. I am out of town for a while and will check this out when home. I just did a fresh install as requested by staff due to  Crash dump submission. I totally removed both Sonar and Cakewalk.
Note the instructions they sent to me for a clean install seemed outdated and they were for Cakewalk not Sonar.But I think I managed to accomplish this . 

I did not reinstall CbB and not planning on it. So just Sonar going forward. I do have Splat and 8.5 as well. But hopefully they weren’t causing the conflict. 

I was also having crash issues with Vegas pro so I need to see what’s going on. 
I just built the computer last November. Could be something I never set up to optimize like in the bios.  

And I was definitely logged in as it was a case were I had just downloaded from web site and installed. I got multiple messages about logging in, a new update? , additional updates etc. 

So I logged in and on restart I still had the new version available message which seems odd due to just downloading it. So I re installed and one done I got that membership and the log in messages again. 
A similar sequence of events happened on my laptop as well. 
Others have commented on all the seemingly weird toast messages like updating help and studio instruments which are all ready installed after you install the update. I think this is also happening with CbB. 

Update:  When I got home I opened Sonar and got the spinning wheel. I opened the Task Manager and Saw that XLN Cloud service was running. I think I must have forgotten about it as I always disable all phone home settings in all my Apps. Anyhow,  it got rid of the spinning wheel completely now.   I also went through all the Windows apps and found a bunch that I needed to set to Never ( run in background) 

I also ran the Samsung Magician ran the performance tests and the disk optimizer.  I ran Resplendence Latency Monitor and Why So SLow and got a glowing report from both. Why So SLow is found on the Resplendence web page and it's free. I goes over all aspects of your system and reports back to you. 

I also got a notice to update Sonar again and this time it kept me logged in after it updated. And my Start screen defaults to the Local Projects now, so everything is 100%.  Thank you @Noel Borthwick for the always welcome assistance. You are not allowed to retire until I'm too old to do this stuff! 

Edited by John Vere

On 5/18/2024 at 11:53 AM, Lynn Wilson said:

I've had this happen a few times, but, usually, it gets it right.  My problem is that when I click on a project to open it, it just sits there for several seconds before responding.  The same with opening the browser from the Quick Start screen, a delayed response that has fooled me into thinking it wasn't working.  I just got the latest version today, but it still has a 5 second delay in opening a project.  I think they need to take a look at this feature; otherwise, it works beautifully.

@Lynn Wilsonis this repeatable and is it with any project of yours? I don’t see this behavior. Quick start opens the project the same way as its done from the file menu. Are you by any chance opening items from a network drive? Also try saving a local test empty project and open that from quickstart to see if you see the same delay. 

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Lynn Wilsonis this repeatable and is it with any project of yours? I don’t see this behavior. Quick start opens the project the same way as its done from the file menu. Are you by any chance opening items from a network drive? Also try saving a local test empty project and open that from quickstart to see if you see the same delay. 

Thanks for replying, Noel.  It happens on any project, new or old.  It's an internal drive that I've always used, the same one that opens immediately in CbB.  The delay is fairly short and doesn't prevent a project from opening; it's just that I've never seen this behavior before the new Sonar came out.  Bottom line is that it's not a showstopper, just a minor annoyance.  I've found that if I wait about 10 seconds after the start screen appears then there is no delay, so it may be something in the background causing interference.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...