How to disable multiple notes selection by pressing a key on piano roll

Elijah K

Question

I use the piano roll a lot. But I don't use midi keyboard and I draw notes with a mouse. And I never edit multiple notes of the same pitch. So it's extremely annoying for me when I draw a melody and just click some key on the piano roll keyboard just to hear if a note fits, and then all the same pitch already drawn notes are selected. Because when I edit just one note later, all of them get changed accidentally many times. Since it's so easy to forget to click on the empty space to cancel bulk selection after pressing piano key. So how do disable that ridiculous feature forever and ever? Maybe by editing some config file? Didn't found any option in the GUI.

Edited by Elijah K

5 answers to this question

You can use the virtual keyboard. Or just click on the note and it will play. The whole purpose of the keyboard on the left is for selecting all notes. As a matter of fact when I was trying other DAWS none of them did this forcing you to lasso the whole time line of notes which involved a few extra steps. Say you have a drum part you need to move or even just change the velocity of. This is one of Cakewalks features I find is unique and indispensable. 

Edited by John Vere

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, John Vere said:

You can use the virtual keyboard.

It's separate from the grid, therefore not so visual to match things.

Or just click on the note and it will play.

Yes I can, but I prefer to know what to draw before I draw it. When you sit in front of the real piano with blank sheet, you press then write, you don't write a note to make it sound. 

The whole purpose of the keyboard on the left is for selecting all notes.

Nah it's for hear what you gonna draw in the first place, as I explained above.

As a matter of fact when I was trying other DAWS none of them did this forcing you to lasso the whole time line of notes which involved a few extra steps.

That's truly right! You want extra feature, you make extra steps.

Otherwise why all the other DAWs designed that way if 

The whole purpose of the keyboard on the left is for selecting all notes.

? Yes, I personally used to work (not just tried) with 4 of them (except CWBBL),with different prices, features, OSs,  notability etc.

Ok, the other question is what boring instrumental parts should one create to need and be able to change all the pitch at once through the track? It should be rhythmically so flat.

Say you have a drum part you need to move or even just change the velocity of.

Atleast, CWBBL devs could enable it only in selection mode, not in every freaking mode without any chance to work different!

Anyway thank you for the answer, now I know the truth, so I can probably move along with my suddenly unique workflow.

Edited by Elijah K

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Welcome to the forum.
Doesn't the note sound when you click it into the PRV?

It sounds but I don't want all notes to be highlighted when I press any piano key in any mode (smart, select, move, edit, draw, erase). The man above says it's impossible to disable.

Edited by Elijah K

6 hours ago, Elijah K said:

So how do disable that ridiculous feature forever and ever?

On the contrary it's a highly useful feature in many contexts such as when editing drum parts in which case you are likely to want to select all the notes on a given note number to change their velocity/timing or drag them to a different note number to switch instruments/articulations. It's also useful for grabbing all the notes across a range of pitches (e.g. bass or melody notes) to cut/copy and paste them to different track to be played or coubled by a different instrument or transposed up or down an octave.

I don't draw my music to start with so I seldom have a need to preview a pitch by clicking in the keyboard, but I would recommend you just draw a new note to hear it. If it's not the right pitch, you can drag it where it needs to be or right-click to delete it. Or get in the habit of immediately clicking an empty area of the PRV after clicking a key to deselect everything. You can also Ctrl+click the same note to de-select.

• Like 2