How much C drive space is available for VST's?

Hi guys. My C drive is a 1 TB SSD. I'm currently using only 200 GB with 742 GB free. I'm wanting to stock up on a bunch of free vst's. 

Will it slow down my computer at all if I use another 200 GB of space for VST's.

I've read that it only slows down when it gets near full. Is that accurate?  Thanks

16 minutes ago, T Boog said:

Hi guys. My C drive is a 1 TB SSD. I'm currently using only 200 GB with 742 GB free. I'm wanting to stock up on a bunch of free vst's. 

Will it slow down my computer at all if I use another 200 GB of space for VST's.

I've read that it only slows down when it gets near full. Is that accurate?  Thanks

If the c drive is the only space for you plugins that by all means use that.   If you have another drive with lots of free space then use that.

If you do need to use c drive, just make sure you have plenty of free space therein still. 

In your case, you will have tons.  Merely having the VSTs present will not slow down your PC

What will slow down your Cakewalk start up is if you have Cakewalk scan those plugins at Cakewalk start up.  I do on demand scans when ever I add new VSTs.

• Like 1

With SSD drives it’s not the fact that it is full that matters. It’s how many times it’s been written to. They work very differently than spinning disks. 
I had a SSD drive slow way down on me and it was only 1/4 full. 
I tested it with the Samsung Magician and that revealed what was wrong. 
So plug ins them selves won’t cause an issue, most are very small files. but sample libraries don’t belong on a C drive. 
The drive that was acting up wa my Working Data drive for Cakewalk projects as well as Video editing and storage. That’s what killed it. As you are working the data is constantly being re written and updated. 
So my plan is to replace these drives once a year. The old drives become back up storage safe copies. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1