Riff file created failed when I try to apply gain on an audio clip.

Good morning everyone. I have a problem that I discovered recently. When I select an audio clip and try to apply the gain from the "Process" - "Apply Effect" - "Gain" menu and press ok the program gives me the error "Creation of RIFF file failed:". I tried to empty the "Picture Cache" folder, to increase the size in PicCacheMB from "Preferences" - "Audio" - "Configuration Files", I changed the directory (on another hard disk) of the cache but I didn't get no resolution to the problem. However, I have noticed that this problem does not always occur and not on all audio clips.
Has anyone already had this problem? Could it be a Cakewalk bug? It started doing this to me after the last update.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 200217.png

I notice the clip appears to have been slip-edited or otherwise non-destructively edited already. This shouldn't be a problem, but you might try Bounce to Clip(s) before applying gain. Incidentally, if that's a bounce/freeze of the MIDI above it as it appears to be, I would suggest just using MIDI Volume or audio Gain on the synth track to get the "live" audio level up where you want it.

Hi David, thanks for replying. I have already tried to do the "Bounce to clip" but the result does not change. I didn't even transfer the audio clip from a softsynth because it is a physical Korg M3 keyboard so the audio clip you see is the direct recording of the midi you see above and which the Korg plays.

Posted (edited)

The file is Wave and not Riff. The track was recorded within cakewalk in the project you see in the screenshot. The various audio clips in the project are all Wave files.

Edited by Mauro Gaspa

Instead of destructive editing by applying the process/ gain it is better practice to use the track gain or clip gain first. I will only use process gain on material that is out of the range of those tools. 

But that said I’ve never had an issue with processing/ gain or normalization.