Hello!

It's been a very long time since I used Cakewalk, and today when I started it up, one of the VST plugins started throwing an error.  No idea if it's specific to the plugin, but here are a couple screenshots:

This is the first little window:

SoundCanvas_error_Cakewalk.png.599a96343d116883856df5543f512541.png

When I click OK I get this:

Screenshot2024-03-29174336.png.52a25e4cf8a1d242be6d4e85e8a8af7b.png

(The support link for Cakewalk is dead, btw.)

There is absolutely zero provision for asking Roland about this, so I'm hoping someone knows if there's a fix or if I'm royally screwed.

Yes, it's specific to the instrument. And condolences, but it's also a "yes" to "am I royally screwed?", as it's an unsupported product.

It's not all bad news, though. The TTS-1 is based on Sound Canvas so if it's a General MIDI synth you're after, you've got one.

• Sad 1

This does look like a permissions issue.

What happens if move the “Sound Canvas VA.DLL” file in a new folder outside of the c:\program files folder (Preferable on a separate drive.)

Add this new folder to your VST scan folders and rescan.

You might have to uninstall and reinstall Sound Canvas VA, but perform a custom install and specify this new folder for the DLL location.

I have run the trial of Sound Canvas VA in CbB without any issues.

Personally, I have all my VST2 DLL files in a separate folder on a separate drive. 

• Great Idea 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 6:56 PM, bitflipper said:

Yes, it's specific to the instrument. And condolences, but it's also a "yes" to "am I royally screwed?", as it's an unsupported product.

It's not all bad news, though. The TTS-1 is based on Sound Canvas so if it's a General MIDI synth you're after, you've got one.

Being unsupported must be a relatively new thing, as it worked for many years in Cakewalk. 
TTS-1 isn't good because I used a lot of different variations of the SoundCanvas instruments and voices.
I may need to try exporting them all to another DAW where SC does work. 😕

On 3/30/2024 at 1:20 AM, Promidi said:

What happens if move the “Sound Canvas VA.DLL” file in a new folder outside of the c:\program files folder (Preferable on a separate drive.)

Add this new folder to your VST scan folders and rescan.

You might have to uninstall and reinstall Sound Canvas VA, but perform a custom install and specify this new folder for the DLL location.

Personally, I have all my VST2 DLL files in a separate folder on a separate drive. 

Great suggestion but it didn't work. I love Cakewalk but this might be the end. SoundCanvas works in another DAW that I occasionally use, and I guess it will be more than occasionally now. 😢

EDIT: After making you read all that, I solved the problem by reinstalling an older version from 2019 that I had on a backup drive.  Works perfectly now. 

Edited by Musicianaire
  • Like 2