Virtual Instruments from the mobile app

I used Cakewalk/Sonar back in the late 90s early 2000s.  It's been a while and I'm trying to catch up.

One thing that has amazed me is the sound quality of the virtual instruments on the android app.  Of course, I'm comparing with my experience 20+ years ago.  (when did I get this old?)  Back then I would just midi control a nicer Yamaha or Roland electronic piano with good synth in order to get good sound.

Imagine my disappointment when I install Studio on my PC and see the dismal list of virtual instruments (SI) available out-of-the-box. 

What gives?  Why doesn't the more robust version (on the PC) have at least the same level of virtual instruments as the mobile version?   Does anyone have an idea?  Is it possible to get that same library of virtual instruments for the PC, and I just haven't found it yet?  

I really don't want to have to download a ton of 1-and-2 instrument collections.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 9:11 PM, Jeff Fry said:

What gives?  Why doesn't the more robust version (on the PC) have at least the same level of virtual instruments as the mobile version?   Does anyone have an idea?  Is it possible to get that same library of virtual instruments for the PC, and I just haven't found it yet?  

I really don't want to have to download a ton of 1-and-2 instrument collections.

The BandLab apps and Cakewalk by BandLab are two distinctly different animals. BandLab's virtual instruments and FX are in their own proprietary format.

I believe that the forthcoming Cakewalk Next will support BandLab plug-ins, but whether they will be ported to VST3 for use in Sonar remains to be seen.

In the meantime, there's a huge thread in this forum about freeware instruments.

Or just get Vital, IKM SampleTank 4 CS, Arturia Analog Lab Play, Soundpaint and Native Instruments Komplete Start and you'll have enough free virtual instruments to keep you busy for weeks or months.

If you don't want to take the trouble to download them, then just do without.