Background Processes

Yesterday and today I've had Sonar wind up in background processes by simply opening and closing it without loading a thing, as well as when various projects are loaded.

Closing  a project before closing Sonar sometime helps.

Trouble with things like this is you never really know who to contact.  The driver manufacture, the plugin manufacturer or the Cakewalk developer?

If you contact the Cakewalk developers, they will say they can’t reproduce it because they have a different PC set-up.

Sometimes, who ever you contact , they will say it's not them

When you say “without loading a thing” - are you sure there are no plugins in your default template?

This happens to me from time to time - especially with CPU heavy plugins.....

I just have a batch file that kills the Cakewalk tasks. 

Something like taskkill /im "cakewalk.exe" /f usually does the trick.  Yes, I shouldn’t have to do it, but there you go, I do......

For the record, my money is on a plugin most of the time.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Promidi said:

Trouble with things like this is you never really know who to contact. 

Exactly.  It just came on that day and didn't happen the day before or since... so far.  But when I said:  "without loading a thing"  I mean no template, no plugins, no nuthin', so I'm inclined to think there is/was something else going on under the OS hood that Sonar/Cakewalk is sensitive to.

Since I have been using the same plugin set forever, I'm not so inclined to blame one of them each time it happens, especially when none are involved.

Before re-installing Windows, older Dimension versions (1.2 & 1.3) were notorious for crashing Sonar/Cakewalk for no understandable reason.  After reinstalling Windows and everything else, the projects will open but Dimension gets listed as "missing" when in fact it is available. (Maybe because the registry is misreporting the dll's actual location - I hope I can fix that) 

Older BREVERB also used to crash CbB  instantly.  After a fresh Windows reinstall for some reason it just creates a repeating beep like it's in demo mode.  This IS understandable as Overloud disabled it and released a different version when Gibson pulled the plug (pun?), then rereleased another one when BandLab took over.  Using the latest versions of these plugins solves the problem.