Feature Request: Sticky menu screen when changing Plug-in Layouts

Sal Sorice

Minor annoyance but I hope it will change in new Sonar...

Whenever you change the Plug-in Layout view, it's almost always because you are looking for an FX (or Instrument) to insert, so the menu should not disappear, forcing you to open it again.

Example:  In screenshot below, I want to find an FX to insert, but want to change the view from the current "Sort by Category" to, say, "Sort by Manufacturer", so I can continue my search.

But when I make my selection, the menu disappears! Now I have to click the + sign to add an effect, etc. to get back to the same menu. Very counterintuitive and a waste of mouse clicks.

image.thumb.png.5a2caab2c8ad761cc20ab4dde9262721.png

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Sal Sorice said:

Minor annoyance but I hope it will change in new Sonar...

Whenever you change the Plug-in Layout view, it's almost always because you are looking for an FX (or Instrument) to insert, so the menu should not disappear, forcing you to open it again.

Example:  In screenshot below, I want to find an FX to insert, but want to change the view from the current "Sort by Category" to, say, "Sort by Manufacturer", so I can continue my search.

But when I make my selection, the menu disappears! Now I have to click the + sign to add an effect, etc. to get back to the same menu. Very counterintuitive and a waste of mouse clicks.

image.thumb.png.5a2caab2c8ad761cc20ab4dde9262721.png

Question, can you not use the built in search in the plugin section? It's much faster than scrolling through deep plugin menus imho.

1 hour ago, Helios.G said:

Question, can you not use the built in search in the plugin section? It's much faster than scrolling through deep plugin menus imho.

Yes, @Helios.G, I am aware of being able to use the Browser to search for plug-ins (and list plug-ins by Category, etc.), but sometimes I just instinctively click on the + button in the FX section to insert one (and often have the Browser window closed).

Just seems like a design quirk/bug that the menu closes when you'd think it would remain open based on what you're doing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sal Sorice said:

Yes, @Helios.G, I am aware of being able to use the Browser to search for plug-ins (and list plug-ins by Category, etc.), but sometimes I just instinctively click on the + button in the FX section to insert one (and often have the Browser window closed).

Just seems like a design quirk/bug that the menu closes when you'd think it would remain open based on what you're doing.

Yeah, I guess since I setup my menu the way I like forever ago, I don't find myself needing to change its layout. I can see how that'd be annoying.

2 hours ago, Sal Sorice said:

It's just standard windows menu behaviour 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Sal Sorice said:

I assume it would close after you select the FX you want from the list.

how does it know which one you want? (btw, not being difficult here, but software requirements are necessarily detailed) maybe there's an "ok" or "close" button?

2 hours ago, pwal³ said:

how does it know which one you want? (btw, not being difficult here, but software requirements are necessarily detailed) maybe there's an "ok" or "close" button?

Thanks pwal. I'm probably the difficult one as I'm oblivious to how software programming works...  :^)

I'd guess that the fly out menus are offering you "choices", but when you select an FX to insert it "activates" the FX, which could then trigger a "close" the menu event? Or maybe, as you suggest, some type of "OK" button to signal that you're done.

22 hours ago, pwal³ said:

how does it know which one you want?

Have you never inserted a plug-in from the FX Rack menu?

The one that you want is the one you select, just as you do now: press on the "+" sign, which flies the menu out, then once you see the name of the plug-in you want, you click on it and the menu collapses. The plug-in whose name you clicked on gets inserted in the FX Rack.

What the OP is suggesting is that everything work the same way it does now, except that when you switch between Sort by Category, Manufacturer, or type, it doesn't collapse the menu before letting you select the plug-in.

It's been on my mind to suggest this myself.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

What the OP is suggesting is that everything work the same way it does now, except that when you switch between Sort by Category, Manufacturer, or type, it doesn't collapse the menu before letting you select the plug-in

sorry i must have mis-read, i took it he wanted a windows menu to stay open after selecting a menu-item 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1