How do I assign my synth's sustain pedal as midi bass drum trigger?

T Boog

Cheers guys. To record drums, I've been using my synth(korg pa500) as a midi controller into Slate 5.5 drums into cakewalk. It just occured to me that i could prob use my sustain pedal as a bass drum trigger/controller.

So I checked youtube and, sure enough, there's some guys doing this. A couple were using cubase. 

So can anyone tell me(in laymans terms please cause I'm half Cajun 🙃) how to assign/midi route my sustain pedal to trigger the bass drum in the slate plugin?

Thanks!

I don't have Slate Drums, but based on other it seems to me assigning a sustain pedal should be a function of the drum software. Page 17 of the manual says: 

Kit Mapping Kit Mapping allows you to map your drum kit to certain notes and CCs. When the Input Converter is untouched, the notes displayed in Kit Mapping are the actual notes, so the MIDI note numbers inside SSD5 are equal to note numbers in your DAW.

I am assuming your sustain pedal send out what is commonly called CC64--an on/off midi command that almost all midi understands a "Turn Sustain On/Turn Sustain Off."  Soft synths these days frequently implement tools to map CC commands to different parameters in the soft synth.

Maybe someone who uses SSD 5 can confirm this method will work in SSD 5 and can put together a set of basic steps for you.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

PS: The picture on page 17 shows Note mapping, but there is a button in the left-hand column to Show Mapping For: MIDI CC.

Thanks bud. I'll give it a try again this evening. I realize that with a sustain pedal I wont have velocity control but I'd be fine with that. I usually adjust velocity  afterwards anyway. Thanks again for the response.

I don’t know how good your keyboard playing is, but even if it’s really good this doesn’t seem like a great idea. The kick might need a push (A little bit ahead of the beat) or a pull (A little bit behind the beat) If I knew what style music / tempo, I would know better what to recommend. Is the song strict timing rhythm, or does the timing flow up and down some?

10 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

I don’t know how good your keyboard playing is, but even if it’s really good this doesn’t seem like a great idea. The kick might need a push (A little bit ahead of the beat) or a pull (A little bit behind the beat) If I knew what style music / tempo, I would know better what to recommend. Is the song strict timing rhythm, or does the timing flow up and down some?

Cheers Max. Well I play a few diff styles but mostly classic rock & old school pop type stuff. A little latency wouldnt be a big issue for me cause I usually quantize or manually adjust the timing afterwards.  I'm wanting the kick pedal more for arrangment purposes. It'd give me more of a real drum kit feel for composing parts on the fly. Playing the kick drum with my finger has never felt intuitive. It interferes with the natural flow.

• Like 1