SI Drum Kit - Why do some of the notes not make sound?

ThexEmperorx

In the SI-Drum Kit, I realize that a lot of the notes don't make any sound when pressed. I made it show what percussion sound each MIDI note corresponds to, and a lot of them don't make any noise when I click on them. For example, when I click on the key labeled "Cowbell" or "Tambourine", I don't hear anything. But, the tom drums, hi-hats, and cymbals work fine, its the percussion with the higher MIDI notes (everything above middle c which is the C5 on Cakewalk, and a few below middle c) that don't make any sound when I click on them or create a note there. Can anyone please tell me how to get these other percussion sounds to work?

52 minutes ago, ThexEmperorx said:

I made it show what percussion sound each MIDI note corresponds to

How did you go about that, exactly? So far as I know, SI Drums offers only a basic kit with no percussion or other sounds. It's not a General MIDI instrument.

EDIT: TTS-1 offers a full GM drum kit, and there are many free drum synths available that will include at least some percussion.

Edited by David Baay

10 minutes ago, David Baay said:

How did you go about that, exactly?

By right clicking on the keyboard in the piano roll, and selecting "Use these note names instead"  (the default is option "Use the assigned instrument settings"), and then selecting "General MIDI Drums" from the dropdown. Though I don't think this actually opens up any new sounds in the Drum Kit.

1 minute ago, ThexEmperorx said:

What do you mean? From what I know, the TTS-1 is a piano, not a drum or percussion kit.

TTS-1 is a full 16-channel Multitimbral GM instrument. Like all GM instruments drums are on channel 10 by default. All other channels default to piano, but can be changed.

On 2/2/2024 at 12:02 PM, ThexEmperorx said:

What do you mean? From what I know, the TTS-1 is a piano, not a drum or percussion kit.

Prepare to have yer mind blown.

In the TTS-1 UI, click on the rectangular button at the top of a channel strip:

image.png.9e5586d7882b072704bdfebba17c305b.png

That will bring up a dialog that will allow you to choose from hundreds of sounds, including multiple drum kits, which come complete with all of the percussion instruments you see on that GM note list.

That said, if you like TTS-1, wait until AIR's XPand!2 shows up on sale for $10 or less and get it. Over 2000 sounds, including the aforementioned drum kits, and they're better sounds. It was the first virtual instrument I ever bought and I still use it.

Whoa, yer in luck, Xpand!2 is currently available in a bundle for $9.99. I'll vouch for DB-33 as a decent tonewheel clone:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/81-Bundles/58-Instrument-Bundles/7743-AIR-Legends-Pack

Edited by Starship Krupa