Shifting focus of midi controller for specific plugin using same MIDI in channel.

Misha

Hi folks.

A question please.

Scenario:

(Cakewalk) I have several plugins that use same MIDI in channel for physical MIDI controller.  Is it possible to shift  the focus from one plugin to another, without rechanneling to other  MIDI channels or setting all others to "none"? 

It's unorthodox "Midi controller" with individual keys programmed to specific channel(1), I can't simply set a global channel for it to use for specific track/plugin. I was wondering if there is a simple way to do this instead of inverting selection(s) manually for all existing plugins? Meaning, if I want to control one, all others are not "listening" to that MIDI IN channel? 

----

If it's something that's not possible, another question please.

If I freeze all synths in "Synth Rack" except for the one working on... When frozen, new input should not alter midi events if I use midi controller on a different plugin with same "midi in" channel  as frozen,  after I am done with active track and  unfreeze it? Right?

Thank you!

34 minutes ago, Misha said:

I have several plugins that use same MIDI in channel for physical MIDI controller.  Is it possible to shift  the focus from one plugin to another, without rechanneling to other  MIDI channels or setting all others to "none"? 

Can you clarify this further? Does "plugin" mean VSTi (virtual instrument) here? If so, it is common practice to only input echo the active track (for recording), so other tracks would only be playing data already present on those tracks in an overdub scenario. IIRC, "input echo current track" is set to on by default, so that should automatically shift for you with whichever track you put into focus while working. Just to clarify, "none" and "omni" used to be interchangeable (not sure if this was ever changed), so input echo may be what you are seeking.

However, if by "plugin" you mean inserted FX, they will actively listen to the channel they are assigned to, so that becomes more complex and may require attention to channel assignments.

mettelus,

Thank you!

Yes, all VSTi's. That what I thought... To be more specific.  I have couple of instances of Kontakt and Ujam. Selecting Ujam and triggering phrases, triggers Kontakt instance too, while it already have automation written.  So likely I hit Echo on one of the Kontakt tracks that I don't want to touch by accident, right? 

Yes you need to set the instrument or midi track in focus to highlight the input echo an make sure no other tracks are still in focus.

I find a track will keep the input echo on if that is the track selected in the PRV and you put a different track in focus in Track view. 
There’s probably a way to assign keyboard numbers to select a track. 
I have always used Channels when  I want to control whatVSTi  is playing from my keyboard. I just change the channel on the controller. But then I toggle the global input echo button. 

2 hours ago, Misha said:

So likely I hit Echo on one of the Kontakt tracks that I don't want to touch by accident, right? 

Correct, when working with VSTis, the input echo should follow the active track unless you have manually echoed other tracks (just be mindful of doing this). This allows you to work and keep VSTis in "omni" mode and your controller set on channel 1 for "most" situations. It makes things simpler from a routing perspective, but keep track of where input echos are (they should follow the active track for overdubbing work).

However, when you work with VSTis that have pass-through, or even generate their own MIDI outputs, is when to be more diligent with channel assignments and routing. Be cognizant of this one, since you could be passing MIDI to a VSTi from the controller which is then sharing an "output" to everything else reading that MIDI channel.

• Like 1

Thank you all for replying! 

I programmed Stream Deck for key switches and other functions, but it seems triggering  what it not supposed to trigger. This is a big project (over 30 tracks), I don't want to screw it up as I have most of MIDI programmed the way I want. I will have to do a test project of just MIDI modules and see where I made a mistake. 

P.S. The idea of using Stream Deck is great, as you can customize in a very flexible position, function, color, etc., but unfortunately I didn't figure out yet how to reprogram global midi channel yet on it. I might need to duplicate whole panel and do individual templates, so each template has it's own MIDI out channel.