Yamaha ESP released (Virtual Montage M as VST3i)

Jim Roseberry

Note that this isn't an Editor, ESP has the full Montage M synth engine.

At least currently, you have to have a Montage-M hardware synth to access the download (the download key comes in the bag with the manual).

As Yamaha mentioned previously, this first version is limited to Quick Edits (can't do full/deep editing).

Full editing will come in a second update release.  Not a big deal as it's easy to transfer from ESP>Montage and vice-versa.

I loaded my Montage-M backup file.  Loaded super quick.

All my custom samples and programs are now in ESP.

Pretty cool to have them virtualized.

ESP allows running multiple instances.

This is especially nice with the AN-X engine... as the hardware is limited to 16-voices.

It'll now be easy to work around this with a DAW.

I've been busy today... so I haven't had a chance to thoroughly check it out... but what I've seen/heard thus far is impressive.

It's nice to *finally* have a 1:1 virtual equivalent to a top-tier keyboard workstation.

Sampletank and HALion are OK.  This is an entirely different beast.

The Montage M8x weighs over 60 pounds (sans case).  Not super keen on schlepping it to shows.

I may take out a mini-ITX build just to run ESP.

That combined with the Nord Stage 4 (my normal gig keyboard) would feel nearly unlimited.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 4

The conclusion is that it was their strategy to induce the purchase of 「real」 montage M(hardware).Now that I know their sales strategy, I can't use their products anymore. (I'm currently using Yamaha's vocaloid products.)

Edited by jehyeonbak