VSTi's uninstantiated/deactivated

Helios.G

Question

Hey Guys/Bakers,

I'm still here building my custom production template and am almost done.  I was wondering, is there a way to load up a vst instrument and have it on standby but not actually loaded in the session?  For example, you can load a plugin chain and deactivate all fx until you want to use them.  Is there a way of doing this with VSTi's? 

EDIT: Hey guys, thanks for everyone chiming in and trying to help me, I tried all the methods described here, and they all helped, but I ended up going with setting up the vsti's I needed then playing a dummy midi note and freezing the track. I just felt that was easier and less hassle for my set up since I literally only use virtual instruments sporadically.  Thanks again for trying to help me out.

Edited by Helios.G

10 answers to this question

I have huge scoring templates with 120+ tracks with separate articulations and have the track/instrument Archived until I need it. That way the entire template loads quickly and with minimal RAM until I activate the track, at that point there may be a small wait while the samples load.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Helios.G said:

For example, you can load a plugin chain and deactivate all fx until you want to use them.  Is there a way of doing this with VSTi's? 

The way I now look at that workflow, is just like what I tend to do with many preset items: In production projects I create subfolders for the presets, and then they are quickly available, but not loaded. So, for VSTi tracks, I create a track template that can call up the instrument and patching. Additionally, as I go along, I may "steal" an fx chain and/or track template from another project, if you follow that logic.  -Works just the same as what many of us do with basic presets of many kinds.  -I don't tend to use "deactivating" things, except to test or minimize overall load in a complex project when that's the simplest path. In my experience also, FWIW, the memory & CPU load with various VSTi plugins varies widely, some do little without input, some are always active.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

I believe the way it works is if a VST instrument is in the project but not playing anything it is only using Memory not CPU. So most of us have enough memory these days that this is not an issue. 

Huh, that's interesting. If that's right, then I shouldn't have any issues with this, I'll have to test it. Thanks.

54 minutes ago, OutrageProductions said:

I have huge scoring templates with 120+ tracks with separate articulations and have the track/instrument Archived until I need it. That way the entire template loads quickly and with minimal RAM until I activate the track, at that point there may be a small wait while the samples load.

Oh, this sounds interesting, so I load up a vst in it's folder like normal, then just hit the A button?

I suppose it can be archived, but is the same thing accomplished by simply clicking on it in the effects section, so it is clicked off?

Edited by Alan Bachman

9 minutes ago, Alan Bachman said:

I suppose it can be archived, but is the same think accomplished by simply clicking on it in the effects section, so it is clicked off?

Not sure.  I'm going to try what Outrage suggested though, it makes more sense to me.