CbB Hangs In Background Processes After Closing

sjoens

Usually due to a rogue plugin.  But I may have found another reason CbB hides in Background Processes after closing.  Bad external drive or controller.

After trying to save a project that was open for several hours, CbB said there was some kind of sharing violation with the external USB drive and folder it resides in and wouldn't save it there.  So I saved it elsewhere and closed CbB.

When I tried to remove the USB drive properly, Windows 11 said it couldn't be removed because it was in use.  So I pulled the cord anyway and reconnected it.  Then tried to remove it properly again only to get the same warning.

Then I checked Task Manager Background Processes and found Cakewalk Application listed twice there. - This is why Windows thinks the USB drive is still in use.

Reboot!

Since new, the USB drive "case controller" would drop connection after a while and I just reconnect it with no issue.  This is the 1st time it had a sharing violation.  Probably a sign it's going bad.

Some savvy forum users suggested using Airplane Mode.  When watching Task Manager I see CbB starts out in Background processes before going to Apps.  When closing, it goes back there before disappearing... until it doesn't disappear and just stays there.  So something is not releasing it from that area.  Wifi may be one culprit.

5 hours ago, pwal said:

Power cycle your interface

Yes, I mentioned in another thread that this generally only happens to me when using Realtek in WASAPI mode in which case there really isn't an option to power-cycle the interface. But if it happens with a peripheral interface for any reason (e.g. after a crash), this will often do the trick.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

Sometimes, but sometimes nothing will release it but signing off Windows or rebooting.

I've had issues with my USB MIDI interface as well. It's bus powered but removing it sometimes invokes the blue screen crashing the whole system, so system USB itself could be another factor.