How to create Alien like vocal (without sounding like a vocoder) like the example provided... (from Maya Clars "Diagonal of Love" @ 1:23)

El Diablo

I would like to know how ya'll think it was created... I have several thoughts and ideas, but nothing has fruited me any real results... like offsetting 2 vocals of different frequenies doesn't seem to create the effect...  It does sound like the vocal is doubled with the "alien vocal" slightly in the background voice.  Without sounding like it's a vocoder.   Is it a special effect or the way it was sung... is it possible to recreate using just Melodyne?

Despite her Live Streams on YouTube.  Maybe she doesn't like part of my name "El Diablo" and is religious or something, cause none of my questions are making it thru to her.   Or maybe she wants to keep it secret.  Or my English is bad?  Either way... can y'all help?

So.... How to create Alien like vocal (without sounding like a vocoder) from the example provided?

If it's a VST3, then even better!   Less work :)

Much Thanks!

Hello,

You're quite polite but sometimes if someone isn't exactly sure what you mean, and they're not being extra nice (like some folks) they just don't reply.

I know. It's frustrating. When people won't reply to me I would rather they just told me what the issue was, instead of keeping me wondering.

Personally, I'm not sure what you mean, but I respect your curiosity and desire to create.

I can hear what sounds like her just actually vocalizing certain phonemes, herself, with nothing special but multiple tracks and some everyday fx that I need my headphones to perceive better, but I wouldn't think it's anything more than a couple of garden variety fx whether it's doubling, modulation, a hint of chorus or something, but I'm not hearing anything that sounds like alien voices. Different tracks where she's singing differently, combined, with slightly higher and lower vocals tightly voicing the same things simultaneously as one voice, is a little eerie. 

But maybe I'd hear more after I open my Yamaha headphones the day after tomorrow, hehe...

Edited by prey
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prey said:

Hello,

You're quite polite but sometimes if someone isn't exactly sure what you mean, and they're not being extra nice (like some folks) they just don't reply.

I know. It's frustrating. When people won't reply to me I would rather they just told me what the issue was, instead of keeping me wondering.

Personally, I'm not sure what you mean, but I respect your curiosity and desire to create.

I can hear what sounds like her just actually vocalizing certain phonemes, herself, with nothing special but multiple tracks and some everyday fx that I need my headphones to perceive better, but I wouldn't think it's anything more than a couple of garden variety fx whether it's doubling, modulation, a hint of chorus or something, but I'm not hearing anything that sounds like alien voices. Different tracks where she's singing differently, combined, with slightly higher and lower vocals tightly voicing the same things simultaneously as one voice, is a little eerie. 

But maybe I'd hear more after I open my Yamaha headphones the day after tomorrow, hehe...

Yeah... She did a live video stream today and I asked her about it.  She says she didn't do anything special, other than harmonizing and layering vocals.  So, I'm worried if I want the same effect, I might have to harmonize different or mess around with Melodyne to see if I can get that effect.  It's like as if there's a frequency shift or something.  I might just go crazy and really make it sound alien.

On a different topic.... (About Cover songs and how she feels...)

I asked her about my friend wanting to cover her song.  She says only to put the cover song on YouTube and no where else.  I really shouldn't have asked, as my friend wants to put it everywhere, especially since he's got to pay for a mechanical license and royalties!  Why limit to just YouTube?

Should he just go ahead, pay the license fees, and ignore the author's request OR just pay the license fees and put it on YouTube Music?

Legally, he can put it everywhere, but it'll make the author of the song not happy.  Not sure what to tell him to do.

Because of the language barrier, she might not understand what I was asking or that she'd get paid for it?