Rechannel Midi Input on the fly

Philip Chika

A very old sequencer app that I have had one really great feature, it allowed you to rechannel any mid input on the fly so if you had an old legacy keyboard that only works on channel one, you could still record directly to any other channel using that feature. Is there a way to do that with Cakewalk or is there a vst available that can be used to do it?

You can have MIDI re-channeled on the fly as it's echoed/played back by setting a forced output Channel on the track (select the MIDI tab at the bottom of the Track Inspector if it's an Instrument track).

This does not change what's recorded. But if you set RechannelMIDI=1 in the [WinCake] section of Cakewalk.ini, Bounce to Clip(s) will rewrite the events in a recorded clip to the specified channel.

%AppDate%Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.ini

EDIT: I should add that the ability to force the output channel means there's generally no need to change channels on the controller even if it can. You can record everything as channel 1 and let the forced output channel assignment on each track take care of getting it to the right channel of a multitimbral synth.

Edited by David Baay

On 12/14/2023 at 7:09 PM, David Baay said:

This does not change what's recorded. But if you set RechannelMIDI=1 in the [WinCake] section of Cakewalk.ini, Bounce to Clip(s) will rewrite the events in a recorded clip to the specified channel.

Just to add:  The “specified channel” is the MIDI channel you have set your MIDI (or Simple Instrument) Track to.  When you add a MIDI (or Simple Instrument) Track, the default MIDI channel is set to.  What I do is create track templates of MIDI tracks with the MIDI channel already set to a number, rather than “None”.