Emvoice not accepting some letters in lyric box

Gordon Douglas

I have used Emvoice with Calkewalk by Bandlab for some years without problem. Today when I tried to enter some lyrics into Emvoice, it will accept some letters but not all. Instead of the letter being inserted into the lyric box, hitting the key triggers a Cakewalk computer keyboard shortcut. For example, attempting to enter the letter "b" into the Emvoice lyric box triggers the Cakewalk browser to appear. Entering the letter "o" works correctly and is inserted into the lyric box. After some experimenting it seems that any letter that happens to be a Cakewalk assigned keyboard shortcut triggers the shortcut instead of inserting the letter into Emvoice. Unassigned letters are inserted into Emvoice without problem. 

I am not sure if this is a Cakewalk bug or an Emvoice bug (I submitted a ticket to their support line) but thought I would see if anyone else is seeing this issue.

I am using the latest versions of both Cakewalk and Emvoice on Windows 11 pro.

Definitely a bug with the software. It seems it is not staying in focus.
It’s like when you go to type a new track name and all of a sudden all heck breaks loose. 
Like typing the word “Guitar “ opens the Gain, U=? the inspector, the Tools, Arranger, and will start recording if I have a track armed! 

The good news is Cakewalk Next has a Lyrics track and I’ll assume Sonar will have one too. 

The Next lyrics track is like the Arranger track. I like it’s system of creating, there’s a place you just drag and drop the whole song called the scratch pad, and then from that window drag each line to create the little boxes at the top. 

Edited by John Vere

Several plugins have had this reaction for me for several years, NI GuitarRig and E/W Opus are examples. 

You can either activate the "send all keystrokes to plugin" button; turn off X-Ray in the Preferences; or exclude a specific VST from X-Ray, and try it again.

I had to exclude EmVoice from X-Ray permanently and the problem went away.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. However, I figured out the solution (at least as far as the Emvoice vocal VST is concerned). Within the Emvoice GUI, there is a small button at the top right of the screen that looks like a small computer keyboard. if you hover your mouse over it, it says "give all keystrokes to plugin". This functions as a toggle so you can either enable or disable the feature. I can only guess that I inadvertently must have disabled it at some point. Enabling this solved my problem, and lyrics are now correctly entered into the plugin and do not trigger Cakewalk keyboard shortcuts.