Record session with headphones : Only drumer can listen the click in his headphone (Cakewalk and Scarlett 18i8 1fst generation)

Stephane DURAND

Hi,

I would like prepare studio recording sessions with my band.

For this, I want to home record my band with Cakewalk and use the click.
My acquisitions card is an Scarlett 18i8 1fst generation.
I dispo about toow headphone output.
I wish that all musicians could listen all mixe record except the click.
I wish that only drumer could listen the click.

Is this possible ?

And if yes, how do it ?

Thanks a lot !

Stephane

The 18i8 allows for two headphone mixes (one being identical to the stereo mix), and the other which is separately configurable.

What I suggest:

1. In Cakewalk, set the output of the metronome bus to a separate audio output (e.g. DAW 3/4)
2. In the Scarlett MixControl application, set the headphone routing to DAW 3->Headphone Left / DAW 4->Headphone Right.

One of the headphone outputs should now only contain the click, and the other headphone output everything else.

This tutorial may help:

• Like 1

You can theoretically get  6 to 8 different headphone mixes if it is the same as my 1st gen 6i6. 
It would require either a multi channel headphone amp or anything that can take outputs 1/2 - 3/4 and the SPDIF and output to headphones. Like old home stereo amps like I’ve used. 
But using mix control you can pan 1/2 and 3/4 to create 4 mono mixes. Or 2 stereo mixes.  Then the 2 headphone outputs. Then SPDIF if you have the right device handy. Warning- it’s a nightmare to sort out in mix control but I did it once way back long ago. I was recording 4 people. 

Edited by John Vere