Stutterberg sucks.

John Vere

Here's another reason why Cakewalk rules. And why if you even had the tiniest bit of curiosity about trying Cubase....

You can run the latest version of Cakewalk on Window 7. No problem even thought they warn you it's unsupported.  

I just built a new computer so it has a shiny new install of Windows 11. I like like it, it's cheerful. But! 

So I'm slowly installing apps and I got to Wave Lab ( by Steinberg)  and it installed but won't run. So I googled the question and quickly found out that my copies of Wave Lab and Cubase 7 are long gone not supported. This ended years ago but the old computer they were on was done back in 2015. ( ya about time I upgraded) 

On the Steinberg web site only very currant versions are supported and even W8.1 is long gone.  And they want $150 just for the UPDATE from Wave lab Elements 7 to 11?. I only paid $89 when I bought it. No big deal. I actually only use it for toping and tailing wave files these days. 

I have my beloved Gold Wave with lifetime updates that only cost me $40 a long time ago. And it don't need no stinkin' dongle. 

The comments on their forum are not very kind. They are being accused of forcing updates. One guy ask why his copy of Cubase 9 would not install on W 10 and a staff members only answer was " you need to upgrade". Turns out you can of course install it on w10. A forum member help the guy do this.  

Anyhow I'm so done with Steinberg and now I probably need to go delete there crapfy Generic driver in the Reg Edit app. 

• Like 1

Time moves on.  It doesn't pay for to keep old applications current on an Operating system that is not even supported by Microsoft.  Makes total sense. You might not like the price but hey, I went to Walmart last night and was not thrilled that the mega sized box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal was $6.50!  That is insane. It was $5 a couple of years back. That is nearly 30% more.   Same with Steinberg I guess. 

4 hours ago, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

Time moves on.  It doesn't pay for to keep old applications current on an Operating system that is not even supported by Microsoft.  

I think you somehow worded that wrong? Or if what you are saying is that generally we should keep updated with both software and operating systems then this is not the case. This is a case of software made for W7, then updated to for  W8 and  W10 ( versions up to 2015)   not running on the a currant OS. 

Steinberg has been accused of messing with the downloads for older versions on the Web site so that they won't run on newer OS. This makes sense from a money making prospective and I'm not saying it's wrong, it just sucks.   This is the same situation as Cakewalk and W7 but in reverse. It's not supported but go ahead and use it at your own risk.  And it works. Cakewalk has been over the top when it comes to customer service for legacy products and keeping a huge range of years all compatible.  I prefer to support the companies that support me. 

I got way more than my moneys worth out of Wave Lab and I would upgrade if the price was reasonable. And I looked at the features and not much has changed and absolutely nothing new was added that I need. So keeping version 7 of Wave Lab is not like Using Sonar X2.   But knowing my $150  will only last for a few years just makes that worse. 

My first use way back when was for all my mastering as well as I had the Tool Copy system set up from Cakewalk.

But over time Cakewalk and my expertise at using it have made Wave Lab more obsolete. 

The big reason it would still be my first choice for topping and tailing is the workflow is by far faster than Cakewalk or even other wave editors. With a little effort I can make Cakewalk export the song the way I want the beginnings and endings, it's just you have to go through the whole waiting to render and export that's a time suck especially when you have 100 backing tracks your working with. In Wave lab all your files are in a browser. You select a song, chop chop save done. You can do a song in 20 seconds. Oh well I get over it. 

Well @John Vere - I think a lot of us "older folks" are getting sticker shock - nay, future shock, as all this stuff seems to be changing, and timing out, etc., so much faster than we seem to recall.

And thank you for your info on Gold Wave - they do seem to be one of those types of businesses that have managed to continue in what is now an old-fashioned business model.  And I sincerely hope that keeps working for them, and thus you & I. But I have seen a lot of my old business contacts either age out, and/or sell out. Of course, we still have the legacy of Gibson here as an example of how all this change & conglomeration affects us eventually. Lifetime - getting to be a bad word.

And, sadly, as a computer support person, I have seen my share of bad things happen when you don't at least try to keep current. -At the very least, I would recommend keeping any legacy systems you run either completely off of the Internet entirely or at least behind a very tight & manageable firewall. -I know that doesn't help much towards creativity, but well, a big portion of the rest of the world doesn't seem to care. -But wait - now we're all connected, 24/7.  😅  -Anway, for now though, yes, at least Cakewalk is still useful for running on older systems, and there will be those of us who still appreciate that!

Edited by JnTuneTech
Sppp...pelling!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JnTuneTech said:

At the very least, I would recommend keeping any legacy systems you run either completely off of the Internet entirely or at least behind a very tight & manageable firewall. -I know that doesn't help much towards creativity, but well, a big portion of the rest of the world doesn't seem to care.  

I'm with you on that one. I never toss out old computers> I either give them away or shelve them. I have at least 3 laptops running W7 and 1 I still use at gigs for playback. I then have a desktop and a laptop running XP. I need those for my old Epson CD printer. I was impressed that I can still purchase the ink for it. Not that I print many CD's anymore.  It still has Cakewalk Guitar Studio from 2004 running on it. The Desktop still has the awful Sound Blaster PCI card. 

And Wave Lab and Cubase Elements 7 will continue to run on my now retired DAW  a 2012  HP pavilion i7 4 core. I bet I can keep it running for another 10 years. So there you go Steinway, I'll get 20 years out of your software thank you. 

That old DAW is actually still a very good computer.  I always add newer better components,  just put a brand new OS drive and upgraded RAM to 32 GB, and new Power supply.  It was just time I upgraded mostly due to video issues.  I just pulled the 2 SSD Data drives and put those in the new machine and in just a day and a half it's all working real good. Video  editing is mind blowing now, instead of crashing all the time.  

I will continue using the old DAW to test stuff and it is a back up with all my authorizations still intact. 

Yes the older XP and W7 computers don't see the internet much if at all.  You actually can't open the internet on XP anymore. The internet tells you your browser is out of date. Ya, by over 20 years.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2023 at 12:32 PM, John Vere said:

I think you somehow worded that wrong? Or if what you are saying is that generally we should keep updated with both software and operating systems then this is not the case. This is a case of software made for W7, then updated to for  W8 and  W10 ( versions up to 2015)   not running on the a currant OS. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I work in Application Support so I completely understand why a software vendor will stop updating older versions for Operating Systems that are not even supported by Microsoft. It is a lose lose. If something does not work, the developers cannot go back to Microsoft to work it out.  They have to abandon it at some point otherwise end users will be complaining that the software no longer works. Not worth it to put up with that.

Edited by TVR PRODUCTIONS