Keep Losing "Console View" (Solved)..

mark skinner

OK ..   So this issue started after opening a Bundle File from a collaborator. (who used 2 monitors).  This was several updates ago. The project opened with the console view in focus. I used the X to close the screen and the tracks view came up.  Had a listen and Saved . I then exited Cakewalk , I  removed my flashdrive (with the Bundle file) and shut down.  

Later ..  during normal project work,  I found I could No longer bring into focus the Console View. I ended up changing my workspace, edited my toolbars , and saved it.  This worked for a while then ,  suddenly lost the ability to bring up "Console View" again.              2  more times with the same procedure. 

After that , I used the "offline" activation , not wanting to go thru it again. (I am an offline user).   Everything worked Fine until the 2023 update .  No longer able to do it "offline".  My workspace settings got lost , and I did the procedure again to get my Console View to load up. I had a shortcut in the tool bars that doesn't work. File/views/console view does nothing except grays out the entire section where views etc.. live.   I've searched online and found Lynn Wilson had a simular problem. Nothing suggested to him has worked. I have become "undocked" and the only way now I can bring it up  is , changing my Workspace to the "mix" setting. This actually works OK and it's only 1 click.  

I would Really like to resolve this before the "Sonar" roll out .  I'm not knowing if it will be a clean install , or just a continuation of a problem on my end ..      Thanks for any insite ..       mark

Edited by mark skinner

When you say you loose console view are you saying there’s no tab in the lower left? What happens when you press D 

Workspaces are global to all projects. You might see a quick flash of the last state the project was in when last saved but the chosen workspace will override it and show. 
Are you saving the change to your workspace ? 
I’ve never experienced any issues with them changing without me being involved. 

I have clear instructions in these videos on using these features. 
the multi dock: 
https://youtu.be/9K71S1kvvNY?si=ypK-hRgdg9xMzZen

Workspace: https://youtu.be/Tce02wE_TPM?si=GFOJRK0hy6NSfG_p

Keyboard shortcuts :https://youtu.be/lqXhWfPG1Ew?si=w2i-0pFKcHuhr8lf

Edited by John Vere

@John Vere Thanks for the links. All of the videos were Very informative. The first thing I noticed in the "workspace" video , was that the arrows at the bottom right , for expanding it to see the undock options were missing on my normally used workspaces. None and custom. Only showing "multidock" no console. Nothing I did would bring it up except changing to the "mix" workspace. I brought my laptop to my offline daw pc and compaired settings. I found "apply workspace at project load" was unchecked. After checking it , I returned to my "none" workspace and it is now the only one not showing the "console" option at the bottom. But .. the shortcut I had earlier put in a toolbar module now works for bringing it into focus. This is a workaround , but still isn't correct.

I guess after making and Saving changes to my workspaces and toolbars , they weren't being applied going back and forth between projects that were saved in different states. I don't know how my "apply" got unchecked. I've never touched it or had any reason to.  Unless anyone has further suggestions , I'll live with it as it is.  Thanks ..  mark

As I said Workspaces are not per project. I think that’s screensets which I have never tried so can’t confirm. 
What happened when you just press D? 
Thats The easiest way to open the multi dock . And in the very odd case that there’s no console view you can go to views up in the main menu and add it there. 
And using the workspace none has the drawback of if you open the project on a different computer then things are wrong.
Example your project was saved on a dual monitor set up and you open it on a one screen set up like a laptop using a different workspace like basic.  For me this results in the console view being opened and floating and covers the whole screen. 
Before we had workspaces I think this resulted in a completely missing multi dock . It would trip people up all the time and they would be on the forum here asking what happened to the multi dock? First answer was always,”Turn on your second monitor dude” 

I have a feeling when you choose none this might still happen. 

Edited by John Vere

John , Nothing happens when I press "d".   Console Does show up in views  , but selecting it does nothing. Yes , screensets may be an issue. I could try different ones and see what happens.  A few days ago I temp. changed my screen resolution to 600x600 . CbB opened up with the console view on top and floating. I could grab and move it , but not knowing where to put it I left it alone. Went back to 1920x1080. Maybe there is a way to redock it from there. ??

@John VereYes , I guess it was.  Compounding the problem ..   my global workspace settings weren't being "applied".  That didn't help after making changes in them. I'll probably play with this a little further at some point if I have to. 

I don't really feel that this is completely solved , but I'm going to mark it as so ..   Thanks for your help ..   mark

• mark skinner changed the title to Keep Losing "Console View" (Solved)..