Default Soft Synth input device?

Sven

First make sure none of the VST instruments you are using have midi output enabled

Second uncheck all but your controller in t preferences/midi /devices/ input 

It will then default to none and your keyboard will work. 

I find if you assign your keyboard under this set up and you reopen the project later it’s still the input device. 
Always leave the controller connected. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Hi John Vere,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I was hoping this would be as easy as specifying the Keyboard 61 as my default MIDI input device for all Soft Synths.   I can try your method but it does seem a bit time consuming.

Thanks.

Cakewalk can’t have that setting because the device is external. What happens when it is not available?  
I’ve had my controller connected to Cakewalk for possibly 12 years and it always works. 

Like most it is USB powered so it simply turns on when I boot up. 

One other thing When I insert a soft synth using the ADD TRACK . I have the option to choose my controller.  The option stays put until you close the project.  So I often add all my instruments in that session so the controller is all set up for all instruments. 
But “ none” will also grab your controller if it is the only input option in preferences.  

I would think that if the device is not available then Cakewalk would tell you that no devices are current available.  You could then make one available if need be. 

My point is that most people use the same input device, often a keyboard, for every session and probably just want to add various Soft Synths without having to waste time thinking about telling Cakewalk what it's input should be.  It's such a common repetitive process.  At least that's the way I work.  It's just one more step that seems unnecessary and slows me down.

Thanks.