Unfreezing a track causes crash of a Plugin

In a somewhat complex project. I have some frozen tracks.

Unfreezing a specific one (called "Punch" in my project),  crashes "TAL Bassline" (https://tal-software.com/products/tal-bassline) of that track. 

When opening the just created recovery project, the track is unfrozen. But when you click on the instrument, it does not open. And no audio output. (similar to the problem I already reported in my other post).

Since this happened now several times always during unfreezing on the same track, it seems not to be a random problem. That frozen track should be part of an internal template. So unfreezing at some point will occur over and over again in the future.

Here the crash:

crash_plugin_.thumb.jpg.00d65a85b715765d1914f635f4e1c102.jpg

and here the recovered project:

recovered_project.thumb.jpg.dd8c3e6518f6eaf68284de1426c227d1.jpg

I created a test reproducer project Cakewalk_Reproducer2.zip in the attachment, which only contains the "Punch" track and another track. When loading that project and unfreezing the "Punch" track, Cakewalk reports a Crash Message of the Plugin or silently exits. Removing that other track caused another issue: Then the "freeze" button is not highlighted after reloading that project; examples in the ZIP.  

Cakewalk_Reproducer2.zip has 5 CWP files:

\Cakewalk_Reproducer\YesManRMX1_test_reproducer.cwp

=>   At first I thought the reason is another track, before I realized, that the plugin was used by both tracks

\Cakewalk_Reproducer\YesManRMX1_test_reproducer2.cwp
 =>   I removed the other track; however the freeze button is not accessable, although the track is shown visible frozen, unfreezing not possible

\Cakewalk_Reproducer\YesManRMX1_test_reproducer3.cwp

=>   I removed some effects from the other track to simply it; the freeze button is still shown

\Cakewalk_Reproducer\YesManRMX1_test_reproducer4.cwp 

=>    I replaced the other track with TTS-1 and then the freeze button is still shown

\Cakewalk_Reproducer\YesManRMX1_test_reproducer4 (Recover 23-10-23-02-21-58-804).cwp

=>   this is the recovery Cakewalk built. when loading it, the freeze button is not highlighted, and the MIDI audio blocks seem to be ok, but clicking on the instrument button has no effect; also playback gives nothing; The plug-in itself works fine, adding it to a new track there works fine. I use the 64bit VST2 version of the plug-in.

----

NOTE: To be able to uplaod it here I simply edited "\Audio\Punch (Abgemischt, 6).wav" in a way, that its completely fully of silence, this way its much smaller after compression, although its about 30MB when uncompressed. So it fits into the attachment of this post.

The only current work-around I see there, is to simply not freeze tracks with that plug-in;  But is there another alternative?

Fortunately deleting that one track in the project does not crash. So replacing it with another plug-in may solve it as work-around.

Cakewalk_Reproducer2.zip

Edited by Sunshine Dreaming

• Sunshine Dreaming changed the title to Unfreezing a track causes crash of a Plugin
1 hour ago, OutrageProductions said:

Try this experiment:

Bounce (NOT freeze) the audio from that track out to another audio track, preferably IRT, then Archive the offending track/VST and test again.

thanks for your answer.

yes, that would work. 

however, using freeze/unfreeze much is more comfortable

Deactivating the FX's would not save the CPU usage, but because of that I want to freeze it. 

I simply re-designed another track with different plug-ins and use that instead now

8 hours ago, gustabo said:

Is there a chance you updated the plugin after it was first frozen?

This may be actually the real reason! Thank you!

I opened a new project, and when then adding the TAL Bassline plugin (incl. all the FX's) then freezing and unfreezing works fine.

But I always assumed, that the CLSID of that plugin never changes among versions; I often had the case, that although the .dll/.vst plugin file was moved, Cakewalk still found the plugin; And so when it finds it based on the CLSID, an update normally would not change that id, does it?

A few weeks ago I had a total system crash and had to rebuilt all configurations

In the old .pgl file (from before the crash) now I found Plugin CLSID="{141AC902-3837-3567-5441-4C2D42417E31}" 

The current plugin has {DA906672-7AD1-35CE-5B14-6FBBA844C418}

Normally then Cakewalk should have given a warning on loading, that a plugin was not found.

But there was nothing like this; When you open a project from the ones in the reproducer no warning occurs. 

A bit strange is, that although Cakewalk does not "know" the new plugin based on the different CLSID, it crashes

with the message, that the exception occured in that plugin...