REQUEST: Dry run mode

El Diablo

If you don't know what this feature is, then your missing out on a great production boosting feature!

The ability for all your plugins to "dry run" thru the whole project gives you a fuller understanding of the ending LUFS, average EQ, any clipping you didn't catch before, etc.  Plus, the "dry run" can be 3-4 times faster than realtime listening, which in turn makes you more productive.

Since I've used Reaper, I can't find myself living without it.  I've asked other Cakewalk users and they are baffled why I need it and say that feature doesn't exists in Cakewalk.

I frequently used it for my plugins to adjust overall levels for the entire project.

If I put my favorite "The Normalizer" plugin (I understand that Cakewalk includes this process, but I prefer my plugin) on any track, I set the target DB or LUFS and it will adjust based on what it hears.  Dry running would help speed up this process faster than human ears.  The plugin also has a "continuous" mode where it can adjust all the time based on if you change levels on a track or not.

Currently I have to export the project and delete the exported file.  A dry run feature would help me not have to worry about deleting a file each time I export.  If Cakewalk adds this feature, it could incorporate a dry run button so that you can just press the button (which you can preset how it works in preferences...set up the dry run dithering options, but rate, khz, etc).

I have Sonible Smart Limiter, and if I had a dry run feature, I could see all my levels for the finished product then make adjustments as needed.

Having a Dry run feature would be indispensable feature to include.  Nobody understands how precious this feature is until they use it elsewhere and miss it.

Until Cakewalk adds this feature, I don't see Cakewalk as much of a value in the Mixing criteria.  I'll probably just use it for Mastering, because I love the pwr-3 dithering capabilities.

• Like 1

Some uses
You can quickly check your project's waveforms and loudness levels.
You can easily see where clipping has occurred.
You can use the Stats tab to see your loudness stats.
You can save time by not having to output a file which can take a while.
You can easily identify any issues with the waveforms before committing to a full render.
About the loudness stats
Once the Dry Run process is finished, you can view the loudness statistics for your project by clicking on Stats/Chart → Open Render Statistics. This includes the integrated LUFS, true peak, and maximum peak levels, as well as the short-term and momentary loudness levels.

This information is useful for ensuring that your track meets the loudness standards of streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music, and YouTube.

These render statistics can be enabled, disabled, and configured in Preferences → Audio → Rendering.

Here’s a full list with all terms used and their meanings.
Useful actions
There’s a bunch of useful actions that allow you to dry run render things like your mix, your tracks, time selection and even selected items!

Open the Actions menu (shortcut: ?) and do a search for “dry run”, you’ll find:

Calculate loudness of master mix via dry run render
Calculate loudness of master mix within time selection via dry run render
Calculate loudness of selected items via dry run render
Calculate loudness of selected items, including take and track FX and settings, via dry run render
Calculate loudness of selected tracks via dry run render
Calculate loudness of selected tracks within time selection via dry run render
Calculate mono loudness of selected tracks via dry run render
Calculate mono loudness of selected tracks within time selection via dry run render

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw