MIDI sequencing....HELP!!!!

Hi everyone. I am looking for a way to: 1) connect my MIDI keyboard to my USB laptop  2)input MIDI data to a detailed MIDI sequencing/editing program along the lines of the old SMPTEtrack sequencer program I used to use, and 3) print a time code to a track in cakewalk that can trigger the keyboard to play the MIDI data in sync with other tracks printed in the Cakewalk DAW.

YES I have searched Google and NO, I have not found a solution to this yet. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Screenshot 2023-08-10 161850.jpg

You need to watch a few tutorials because things don’t work like that anymore.

All DAWS including Cakewalk are totally capable of recording any midi keyboard, be it 5 pin DIN or USB and editing and playing the midi data back in sync using either VST soft synths or hardware sound modules.  

The ones on midi come a bit later but if you haven’t used Cakewalk before best to start at the beginning. 

You're trying to make this more complicated than it is.

It isn't 1986 any more; there's no need to bother with SMPTE time code unless you are syncing to film or tape. The DAW is the sequencer. Cakewalk started life as one of the first MIDI sequencers for PC - back in the DOS days before Windows.