Help with Quantizing pedal, please.

Jonathan Densem

Question

Hi there - I am currently recording a piano piece (digital) but the pedal does not follow with its assigned note when quantising the note.  This means (because I am shocking at playing on the beat - always early) that I have to manually adjust the end of each pedalling. If I deselect "notes and lyrics only" this quantises the actual pedalling, which is not what is needed, of course.    I am absolutely sure that it used to do this.  I have been recording on Sonar/Cakewalk for 15 years. Cheers, Jonathan.

3 answers to this question

The Quantize command works on selection, so if the controllers aren't being quantized, then it's because they're not selected.

In the PRV's Controller menu there's a "Select Controllers Along With Notes" option.  If this is checked, then your controllers should be selected along with the notes, and quantize should quantize your pedal events too.

Cakewalk can only quantize notes and controllers independently. It has no way of 'knowing' which of possibly many affected notes the pedal CC event should follow when quantizing the notes. In my experience, quantizing controllers is generally not necessary, but it might depend on your playing/pedaling style. The amount that notes move when quantizing is generally a small fraction of the 'overlap' with the pedal down that's supposed to affect them or the 'clearance' between the note off and the next pedal up so its unusual that quantizing moves a note out of or into the influence of pedal down event that was or wasn't supposed to affect it.

I guess I'd need to see a specific example of a performance for which you got an audibly bad result.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The Quantize command works on selection, so if the controllers aren't being quantized, then it's because they're not selected.

In the PRV's Controller menu there's a "Select Controllers Along With Notes" option.  If this is checked, then your controllers should be selected along with the notes, and quantize should quantize your pedal events too.

The concern isn't whether controllers get quantized or not, it's that they get quantized independently of notes and may move too much or in the wrong direction relative to the notes they're affecting. In the absence of some AI being applied to analyze how notes are affected by the controllers around them and preserving the relationships between notes and controllers accordingly when quantizing, this is inevitable, and I find it's usually best not to quantize controllers at all and trust that small movements of the notes will not drastically alter the effect of controllers on them.