Splitting a MIDI track with only one actual note played into sections

Sven

I have a percussion plugin I like called Skaka which I sometimes use for shakers and tambourines.   I only need to play one note to have the instrument play continuously. through the song .  What I like to do is create a clip with that note  and stretch both to the length of the entire song.  Then I want to split that clip into sections so I can mute/unmute different ones to only play during parts of the song.  

I thought I did this exercise successfully before maybe I was just playing the clip/notes for only one section of the song.  If I highlight part of the long clip I want and right-click to split that section, SPLIT is not an option.   I've got the Split MIDI notes option ON.   I only see EDIT/VIEW/and Import MIDI on the highlighted section.

image.png.5cd197a6e3814b2650e317b9f9088c0e.png

I can solve this by playing the one note in different takes during different parts of the song but that takes longer.  Also, I believe there's some kind of pre-roll trick where it sounds better if you start playing a tad earlier then the actual downbeat.  It's easiest if I just start from the first beat of the song and let it continue throughout the tune.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Lots of options. I actually find it much easier to simply play parts in real time as then in 3 minutes I’m done. Then it’s a simple matter of quantize and fix the velocity if necessary.  
Other options are create a one measure clip in Step sequencer and drag it out for whole song. But then you have to spend 20 minutes deleting and editing the clips to get what you want. 
You can also just record one measure and turn it into a groove clip. Same difference as the step sequencer. 
The slowest method would be drawing or copy pasting. 

Thanks JohnnyV,

I now recall that when I've done this successfully before I simply record a measure and then make it a groove clip.  I then stretch it for the entire length of the song and can later split any sections I want.

28 minutes ago, Sven said:

Thanks JohnnyV,

I now recall that when I've done this successfully before I simply record a measure and then make it a groove clip.  I then stretch it for the entire length of the song and can later split any sections I want.

That can work too, but my experience is if I do that the groove clips copy out wrong and the clip goes off time. That’s why I use the step sequencer because it automatically creates a groove clip that works.
Take note that you will have to bounce the created track afterwards or it cannot be edited.