Audio stops after a while...

I've recently started using cakewalk for a school project, but I keep running into the same issue. On startup everything goes well, I can add midi tracks and record some things, audio playback is fine. After a while though, the program stops outputting audio completely. This happens every time, always after I do something. Sometimes after I add a track, sometimes if I just alt-tab out to listen to what I'm trying to copy for a bit. The only thing I can do is save and restart the whole program, after which it works fine again. For a bit. Please help, I can't keep working like this.

This is the whole series here on this playlist which i you are a new user will help you learn quickly how Cakewalk works. There's a video on the topic of Audio set up that should solve your currant issue. 

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, CapeRiverPirate said:

I've recently started using cakewalk for a school project, but I keep running into the same issue. On startup everything goes well, I can add midi tracks and record some things, audio playback is fine. After a while though, the program stops outputting audio completely. This happens every time, always after I do something. Sometimes after I add a track, sometimes if I just alt-tab out to listen to what I'm trying to copy for a bit. The only thing I can do is save and restart the whole program, after which it works fine again. For a bit. Please help, I can't keep working like this.

I have the same thing on a laptop I write this on, with the native soundcard not using asio.

- same thing, you do some operation like save and suddenly audio is gone.

- something is not compatible with audio drivers

- I tried WASAPI, WDM and similar and same thing. It might work for a session, or not.

- this is not my daw computer, so just having Sonar installed for reference and some quick fixes.

For a good solution I would recommend getting some asio compatible audio device, or try install asio4all drivers to get asio on the interface you have. Search for asio4all on internet and install.

With a proper asio interface I never had issues with Sonar, nor Cakewalk for that matter.

• Meh 1

On 8/24/2023 at 9:38 PM, Byron Dickens said:

DO NOT use ASIO4ALL .

This!  There is no reason to use Asio4all on a W10 or 11 computer. The WASAPI driver mode has changed all that. Asio4all was useful back in the dark ages of computer audio but is now obsolete. It has one tiny use these days and that is for badly made audio devices that not only don't have an ASIO driver, but that don't support WASAPI either. Toss that POS in the garbage and move on. This is explained clearly in the Audio set up video. 

When properly set up your computers sound chip can work smoothly with Cakewalk using WASAPI shared or even exclusive. I prefer shared so I can use my computer for other audio applications like You Tube and using Media Player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyV said:

This!  There is no reason to use Asio4all on a W10 or 11 computer.

But he had these problems as I also have with a Asus Vivobook laptop and windows 10 and Sonar Artist 2015.

- seems to be there also in CbB

- give a solution?

I make so minor things on laptop, just chopping some audio now and then and export, so don't care enough to try something else.

- I tried WASAPI, WDM and MME

- at one occation one can work long enough to finish my attempts

- sometimes it's enough to save project for it to stop working!!!!

I suggest trying Asio4all as a troubleshooting option and maybe solution if it works.

First question is does the audio engine at the top go off and you cannot restart it manually?

Second is does the bit rate for your device in Windows Sound Settings match the project? You also want "give applications exclusive control" unchecked in properties in Windows.

If you open another app that uses the same device it may have hijacked the device on you (especially if Cakewalk is back in focus and the audio engine is still off). There are settings in both Windows and Cakewalk audio devices that will causes issues if more than one app sees the device. Sleep/hibernate can also cause this and should never be used when in DAW mode.

I have  3 laptops and 3 computers and most of them I run Cakewalk using the on board audio with out issues. That is because I set it up properly in Windows settings. And as well I know the limitations of what a computer sound system is capable of. 
As well as laptops have junk built in that cause DPC latency so run this test 

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

All this is covered in the videos which is up to you to ignore  or choose to learn about. 

Edited by JohnnyV