Saving of TTS-1 presets is not successful.

panco

Question

The patch registered in User Normal is not being saved. Please let me know the solution. I installed Cakewalk a few days ago, so I think it is the latest version.

I followed the following 6 steps: 

1.  Insert an Instrument track. Instrument is "default (TTS-1)".

2.  Write a preset, Celesta, to User Normal 1: 001 Piano 1. Select OK button.

image.thumb.png.05e2874b3844037bc5192d0934e6fc16.png

3. Celesta is registered in User Normal 1 like the following capture.

image.png.394394810fe8a8aabef0dc60fb608f72.png

4. Select Save button and close the window.

image.thumb.png.c551c9e9967270ecd87b5643116030de.png

5. Save the cwp file and exit Cakewalk.

6. Start Cakewalk again and open the cwp file. Then, User Normal 1 is 001 Piano 1 not Celesta.

image.thumb.png.038951b62f0ab1e629ddc5cb931c7b38.png

Edited by panco

8 answers to this question

After you Write the preset to the User bank, click the instrument name again and choose Save Bank.

Save the .GMN file with an appropriate name.

Note, however, that CbB does not automatically reload the saved bank file when you re-open the project. The instument assignment will have been save independently in the project, but if you want to load presets from the saved bank to another channel or change the instrument assigned to the current channel using some other preset in your custom bank, you will need to manually Load the saved file into the current session.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, panco said:

The patch registered in User Normal is not being saved. Please let me know the solution. I installed Cakewalk a few days ago, so I think it is the latest version.

I followed the following 6 steps: 

1.  Insert an Instrument track. Instrument is "default (TTS-1)".

2.  Write a preset, Celesta, to User Normal 1: 001 Piano 1. Select OK button.

image.thumb.png.05e2874b3844037bc5192d0934e6fc16.png

3. Celesta is registered in User Normal 1 like the following capture.

image.png.394394810fe8a8aabef0dc60fb608f72.png

4. Select Save button and close the window.

image.thumb.png.c551c9e9967270ecd87b5643116030de.png

5. Save the cwp file and exit Cakewalk.

6. Start Cakewalk again and open the cwp file. Then, User Normal 1 is 001 Piano 1 not Celesta.

image.thumb.png.038951b62f0ab1e629ddc5cb931c7b38.png

For TTS-1, select the patch in the Track Pane, not in the instrument.
Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply.
I selected the patch in the Track Pane and saved User Normal, but it is not successful.
Even when settings are configured from Track Pane, User Normal gets reset upon restarting Cakewalk.

image.thumb.png.fb00e73614c06b02de1863d34deff5b8.png

image.thumb.png.42cfbbcfbe7f7be818eb72ff7265d0f4.png

Edited by panco

Yes - as @David Baay has answered, TTS-1 User Presets are not automatically re-loaded in the plugin itself, or the projects they may be used in. You will have to re-load the saved preset Bank file into TTS-1 every time you close and re-open the project.  -I used to have to do that for some tracks I played live, and it was a pain, so eventually I just exported those parts to audio tracks.  -At least you can still save part customizations (of any and all 16 parts) - regardless of what some folks say, TTS-1 can actually tweak a lot of its synth & sample playback, & MIDI mapping customizations, etc., but the catch is you can only just save a custom patch as a file, as unfortunately it won't automatically reload the User Bank on the next use of the plugin. - At least in my past, as I experienced the same issue as the OP.

-Another glitch in an otherwise robust tool, that Roland probably would have fixed if they had just held on to SONAR long enough.  -I wonder, now that Cakewalk may be back into paid support soon, if someone couldn't nicely call up the Japanese programmers to do some small updates. They are probably very nice people, corporate politics aside, and if asked politely, I bet they would be able to help.  -Ya never know!  We can only hope.

Edited by JnTuneTech
clarifications...
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

I’m not sure what you are trying to accomplish . I have a tutorial about using the TRS-1 and how you can customize and select the patches

I will just point out, that indeed the video tutorial is excellent, and very quickly does cover a possible alternate way of saving the custom patches & setup of the entire plugin, within a CbB project. I haven't tried that with TTS-1. -Sometimes I forget that saving the plugin state from the plugin window, rather than using the internal patch & bank creation tools in the plugin itself, can be possibly better, especially with older DXI & VST plugins. -Great suggestion.

It's just that a lot of us tend to try the "save" tools within the plugin itself first. And as another note, it can be confusing the way it works with TTS-1 User Patches, because although you set them up and can then even use them by selecting via the GM Bank/Patch dialog, they won't persist in the plugin that way, contrary to the method I find works in most other plugin save dialogs - up to and including other Roland designed plugins I use even today. -At least for me, as I say, on my system.

I would try both methods suggested here.  Save the plugin state from the plugin window, -or back up your custom TTS-1 bank file, and reload the User Bank when you start a new session.

Thank you all for your responses. Based on your answers, I was able to save the patches I created using the following steps. Now I can enjoy composing!

1. Register any preset to User Normal.
2. Select Save Bank - this is crucial!
image.thumb.png.b372e26ad540ae2bebcfbb493759c895.png

--Restart Cakewalk--

3. Select Load Bank.
4. The patches registered in User Normal are now available.

p.s. For someone like me who's using a DAW for the first time, the specification was a bit confusing.

Thank you very much.

If new, another trick specific to the TTS-1/Cakewalk to be aware of is that with no output MIDI device enabled (in Cakewalk preferences), if you open a MIDI file with Cakewalk (right click and "open with" or have Cakewalk set to the default player); Cakewalk will open, add TTS1, and assign the "best match" to each of the tracks (from the normal presets). This is very useful if picking MIDI parts from compositions and/or assigning those to other virtual instruments (can simply reassign the track output from TTS-1 to another instrument available in the project).

The drop down at the top of the left side of the Track View defaults to "Custom" and needs to be set to "All" to expose the Channel, Bank, and Preset used (for any instrument). Modifications to those are saved with the project (good for default presets), but as mentioned above will not load TTS-1 User Banks automatically.

• Like 2