midi keyboard built in drum voices

John Ronald Bernardo

Question

3 answers to this question

When using a keyboard synth, it's usually best to set it up as if it were separate keyboard controller and sound module.  Disable Local Control of the internal sounds from the keyboard and echo the MIDI through a MIDI track in CbB and back to  the keyboard synth. For drums, the keyboard synth will probably want to see MIDI on channel 10, but you don't have to change the transmit channel on the keyboard; you can just set the forced ouput  Channel in the MIDI track to channel 10, and leave the Input set to channel 1 of the keyboard's MIDI port. The same goes for any other instrument sound you might want to use from the keyboard, assuming it's multi-timbral - just set the the output channel of a dedicated MIDI track to the relevant channel in the multi-timbral patch setup. You'll probably also want to find and load an Instrument Definition for the keyboard synth so you can set patches from the MIDI track so you always have the right sounds on the right channels for a particular project.

You can continue to use 'live', real-time audio output of the synth from the recorded MIDI while devleoping a project, and only commit to recorded audio when the arrangement and MIDI editing are complete. Just don't make the mistake I've made in the past of only recording the final Master and never recording the individual synth tracks such that I couldn't revisti a project later because the synth had died.

Edited by David Baay

3 hours ago, John Ronald Bernardo said:

I want to use the drums on my keyboard when recording a midi track instead of the si drum kit, how can I do that?

First is this the keyboard ?.  https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/portable_keyboards/psr-e373/index.html#product-tabs

If you already have a midi drum track  then Send the Midi drum track to the Keyboard and record the audio output of the keyboard to a stereo audio track in Cakewalk.

If you are trying to record the keyboards sequenced drum track as audio then you can skip that step. But take note:  You can also record the keyboards midi track as midi data and edit it and send it back. 

Normally we tell you to use audio cables, this is an option if you own a decent audio interface. But I see that this model is also a USB audio interface,  It is only 44.1 /16 which is sort of weird for Yamaha. But make sure and download the Yamaha/Steinberg ASIO driver found at above link. 

Follow my tutorial on proper audio set up to get this working properly in Cakewalk. Then you will select that as the input to the audio track.

Your keyboard is a powerful tool to use with Cakewalk but it can be a little more complicated to set up to take advantage of all the option. You will defiantly benefit from reading the owners manual a few times to explore it's features. On the Cakewalk side I have you covered if you watch my tutorials and take some time to read the PDF user guide. 

This is the audio set up video - https://youtu.be/opDwsC4_llg

This is the entire playlist of tutorials. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7YqVth30eGsURWrKGeu-fFyg3ETjF-Ox