Midi notes missing

T Boog

Hi. I was editing on my song and noticed a whole section of my SI Strings was gone. No more midi notes or sound. It's as if I deleted it but I def didn't.

This has happened to me a few times in the past as well. What could be causing this and any tips to avoid it? Thanks!

I've never lost MIDI spontaneously in all my years except by my own mistake.  If you're seeing this in the PRV, it could be due to having Hide Muted Clips enabled, but that would not affect the Track View. The most likely way of actually deleting something indirectly is by having Ripple All enabled when you delete something in another track. Other possibilities would be moving it to a hidden track or inadvertently slip-editing the clip down too nothing or maybe executing Bounce to Clip(s) while it's muted. For future reference, I always advise using Save As to preserve earlier versions of a project as it develops in order to avoid saving irreversible edits. If you haven't already re-saved the current session, you should Save As with a new name now and check the last saved version.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

I've never lost MIDI spontaneously in all my years except by my own mistake

Thanks Dave. Yeah, it may have been something I did on accident.

Btw, I'm still fairly green. Can u please explain a bit more on how "save as" is different than just saving the current project as it is? And is it ok to save it under "Cakewalk Projects" or should I choose a diff location? Thanks!

Save As is a feature of pretty much all Windows content-creation apps that allows saving a copy of the 'document' currently in memory with a new file name without affecting the file from which is was loaded.  What I typically do is Save As periodically while working and add a filename suffix to the base song name, referencing the last major action/edit or two, especially immediately after recording content that I don't want to lose to a crash, and before doing something destructive that can' t be easily un-done after making a bunch of other edits or closing the session, like quantizing MIDI or running a CAL script.

You can Save As all the versions to the same project folder so they all share the same audio files. The project files themselves generally remain pretty small so it doesn't use a lot fo space.  When a project gets to the point that you feel it's "done", you can save it to a new project folder with Copy All Audio enabled to save only the files used by that final version. But I generally just keep everything in the original folder as a record of how a project evolved and a resource for raw recordings that I might re-visit later using different instrumentation.