I forgot to connect my headphones for the 9999 thousand times - and have to restart again

Frank Bellucci

Question

Hi.

Ok, so I once again forgot to plug attach my headphones (bluetooth) and I'm typing this as I watch Cakewalk load and load and load (it's a big project), full well knowing that I seem to have no way to get my earbuds online in the forthcoming session.  I have read other forums about this, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Windows 11, Cakewalk 2022.11 Build 021, 64 bit.

So I then bluetooth my airbuds.  All good with everything else.

Back to cakewalk and check Edit->Preferences->Devices .... no airbuds in the list. 

The only way  have found to resolve this, is to exit, and re-load Cakewalk.

1,000,000 thank yous to anyone who might be able to tell me how to tell Cakewalk to scan (while in the session) the output devices and attach !

Thanks so much,

Frank

4 answers to this question

51 minutes ago, Frank Bellucci said:

Hi.

Ok, so I once again forgot to plug attach my headphones (bluetooth) and I'm typing this as I watch Cakewalk load and load and load (it's a big project), full well knowing that I seem to have no way to get my earbuds online in the forthcoming session.  I have read other forums about this, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Windows 11, Cakewalk 2022.11 Build 021, 64 bit.

So I then bluetooth my airbuds.  All good with everything else.

Back to cakewalk and check Edit->Preferences->Devices .... no airbuds in the list. 

The only way  have found to resolve this, is to exit, and re-load Cakewalk.

1,000,000 thank yous to anyone who might be able to tell me how to tell Cakewalk to scan (while in the session) the output devices and attach !

Thanks so much,

Frank

I don't have any blue tooth devices, so I cannot test this, but would switching driver mode trigger the wave profiler in such a way that the BT device would be made available (e.g., from ASIO to WASAPI and back to ASIO)?

Edited by User 905133
edited to retrain myself to look for the hidden edit button ;-)

I was so excited because this was a fabulous idea!  But it didn't work (exactly).  On the other hand, I stumbled into something else.

I use WASPI shared, because, unfortunately, I can't use ASIO because the ASIO driver that came with my system (and is apparently the latest and only) for my Realtek chip is incompatible with cakewalk (a popup message tells me so from cakewalk and it's right... it spins indefinitely if I try to select it).   The only thing I can select and work properly is MME (aside from WASPI).  Yes, a bummer, but that's what I have.

So back to the question at hand.   

Here's the odd thing.  MME does scan for new devices if I attached the airbuds after the session is running... and it works (if and only if I start cakewalk with MME as the driver.  If I start cakewalk with WASPI loaded, no combination of switching to MME helps.  It does in fact prompt me if I want to use the airbuds after I enable them if MME is running in this session, but no sound comes out even after I make sure they are checked correctly in the device list).  I have to restart.

What I don't know is what kind of limitations (including sound quality) will appear for MME. I have read this is so old that it does not go direct to hardware so I would expect a lot of glitching. Even so, I guess I ought to try t out.

Anyhow SUPER great idea.   Huge thank you for that. Maybe I can live with MME :):)

Frank

Yeah, just to confirm a couple of things you said there, the Realtek HD ASIO driver is actually broken and not suitable for DAW use at all. The devs put that warning in because so many people kept getting stuck on it.

WASAPI is usually your best bet because the performance is usually best, especially WASAPI Exclusive, although depending on what device you're using and what other software you're running, it can be pretty finnicky.

MME is the oldest and most "compatible" driver but, yes, it goes through several layers of software before it even gets to the hardware so you usually get terrible latency, and in fact worse because you'll usually need to up your buffer slider a bit. But that said, if you don't care about the latency, there shouldn't be any particular quality loss that you'd notice over Bluetooth headphones. They have their own issues with quality loss because of the protocol they use but if you're not finding those an issue, then using MME shouldn't be a problem at all.