Single VST synth handling multiple MIDI inputs / channels?

Nick Tourte

I'm trying to use FL Studio inside of Cakewalk, and leverage the synths I've acquired there. However, I don't want to have a dozen FL Studio instances running if I can at all avoid it. There is an FL Studio Multi VST plugin that theoretically supports 16 inputs, but I can't figure out how to convince Cakewalk that it has that many. The end goal would be to have up to 16 unique MIDI tracks in CW that all point at the same VST, but assigned to different MIDI channels. Hope this is possible!

You may point as many MIDI tracks as desired to a plug-in.

Here is an image of a MIDI track pointing to an instance of TTS-1. Note the channel drop down. In this case, the track is set to force all data to channel 1. When this drop down is set to None, the ciip data is sent with channel unmodified.

eCZvRni.png

formore info see https://legacy.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Recording.29.html

• Like 1

What you are doing is similar to using hardware synths. The only difference is the midi data doesn’t leave your computer. 
 You  insert the tracks you need and then assign a channel to each track or tracks for each instrument needed.
 Then choose FL studio as the outputs for the tracks. This part I can’t verify as I would think you need a 3rd party midi routing app that Cakewalk can see. Look in preferences midi devices output for that. 

Edited by JohnnyV