Ability to disable channel/track selection on faders?

Geoff Merson

Question

I want to only select channels on the Console View, when I click on it. The reason for this, is that when I am adjusting a parameters on a Pro channel, then moving a fader on another, the Pro channel is opened on that channel. I want to be focused on the channel that I was using for the Pro channel, whilst adjusting level/pan etc, on another. This also happens when I use Softube Console 1, which is frustrating.

When using Mackie Control, there is an option in settings, to ony use 'Select' to select the channel, and no other adjustments would make Cakewalk focus on that channel. My X Touch is no longer working, so it's being sent back for repair/exchange (still under warranty). In the meantime I would like the same functionality with KB & M.

Any solutions?

Cheers.

Edited by Broken Silence

2 answers to this question

The only other solution I can provide is another control surface.

The KORG nanoKONTROL 2 is a pretty cheap solution, and works extremely well with CbB.  I've got one attached to the wall in my studio by my vocal booth area so I can easily adjust things,  start/stop, and undo/redo takes without having to move from my position. The only downside is the faders are quite small. 

The nanoKONTROL Studio works equally well and has much bigger faders and has select buttons, but it's more expensive.

If you have an Android tablet/phone there's also TouchDAW, and there's TouchOSC for the iPhone/iPad.  TouchDAW is a faithful emulation of the Mackie Control, whereas TouchOSC is fully configurable.

I've used TouchDAW a few times and it works very well.  The only reason I stopped using it was because I preferred the tactile control of a real Mackie Control rather than a touch-screen.

Other than that, the only thing I can suggest is to try to find a desktop app that emulates a MIDI controller.  Anything that can bind on-screen faders/knobs to MIDI CC's would work, and you could set up a profile using the ACT Control Surface.

All of the software options above require you to use a MIDI Loopback driver such as loopMIDI or loopBe.

Thanks msmcleod. Perahps I wasn't very clear. The X Touch works fine with Cakewalk, but until a rplacement or repair us returned, I can't find a way to diable moving faders with mouse, from selectingthat faders channel, whilst adjusting another channel with Console 1. Perhaps I'll have to wait until it comes back.