Why do my waveforms not display after cutting a section from the track.

Curt Thurston

Question

To remove the latency from an audio track I just recorded, I selected a few ms at the beginning of that track, hit Edit, Cut and had it remove the hole and now although it plays, I see nothing in the waveform part of the track. There's no bar at the top to grab and move either. Why did it vanish and how do I prevent it?

Edited by Curt Thurston

4 answers to this question

Not typical, but sometimes this can happen if your Picture Cache is full.

Try this: close down Cakewalk, and navigate to your Picture Cache folder - typically that will be in C:\Cakewalk Projects\Picture Cache  although you'll be able to find out exactly where by going into Cakewalk's Preferences > File > Audio Data and looking for the path there.

When you're in the Picture Cache folder, just delete everything in it.

When you load your project next, it'll take a while to rebuild all of the waveform pictures, but this should prevent this from happening again for a good long while.

That said, the bit about the bar disappearing is an interesting thing too. Can you show a screenshot of what you're seeing? It's possible a clip could have gotten muted and Display Muted Tracks in Parent Track in the View menu in Cakewalk has been deselected. 

Thanks for the reply, that was encouraging but I tried it and still had no waveforms show  for those tracks. The other tracks that I didn't edit show the waveforms normally.

I created a new project and copied and pasted the source tracks from the original and I'm retracing my steps to see when and if the waveforms vanish.

I'm going to look into the possibility tracks being muted, but they seem to play normally.

There have been some very rare occasions after using a Region FX (like Melodyne or VocalSync) where there's been an error and they've come back flat. Usually closing and re-opening CbB solved that though.

Definitely report back if you can find a way to trigger this, I'm sure the devs would be keen to fix that one.

• Like 1