Shuttle Pro v2

Robert Hale

I use Shuttle Express, and have for at least 7-8 years or so.

As long as daw does not run as administrator it works fine.

- use ring to zoom in/out timeline

- jog wheel to move playback cursor

- easy for left hand to find without looking

I think drivers are the same as Pro. I also did on windows 11 now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup... Contour Shuttle Pro V2 for many years.

I have it mapped for common Cakewalk functions, and have mapped identical buttons for matching functions in Reaper, Logic Pro X, and to some extent in DaVinci Resolve.  It really makes me smoother and more confident in jumping around between products. 

I glued a 1-inch high skirted aluminum knob to the jog wheel, and have it mapped for up/down values in plugins.  It's notchy, but still allows me to fly the cursor over the plugin GUI with my right hand, and change the values of the GUI knob with the Contour on my left hand.   

I have been using a Shuttle Pro V2 for at least 10 years.  Every button is programable to whatever Cakewalk command shortcuts you want for them.  I use the inner wheel for jogging forwards and backwards through projects.   I programmed the outer ring to dial note resolutions for entering notes on the staff view.   I think it is fantastic!!  On my Windows 10 PC occassionally it doesn't always automatically start when booting up and I have go to computer management select "Services" and find Contour Shuttle on the list and manually start it.    I have had several where the USB cable connection went bad from constant movement.  Last time this happened instead of buying a new one I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a new cable no charge. 

• 5 months later...

Just tried to connect and setup my old ShuttlePROv2 to cakewalk by Bandlab and am struggling to get it to work. 

Can I ask those who replied to this thread how they went about getting it to work - which drivers did you use, and what options did you select in Cakewalk? 

Here's what I tried: 

* I used the Windows 10  driver from the ContourDesigns website - the one for the current Multimedia Controller Pro 2 - it looks identical to the one I have, even though mine is called a ShuttlePRO v2 - same number of buttons, same layout etc. 

* When I boot up the controller app to select the configuration for the current version of Cakewalk, I can only see older versions of Cakewalk SONAR listed (i.e. Sonar 3 SE, Sonar 3 PE, Cakewalk Project 5 - but not the current Cakewalk by Bandlab.  I've tried various options from the list and none seem to talk to my version of Cakewalk. 

* I then tried to program a few of the Shuttlepro keys using the cakewalk keyboard shortcuts and managed to get some of the shuttlepro buttons to work - i.e. play, goto start, goto next marker. However , the shuttle wheels do nothing. so I can't use them to jog quickly through the timeline. 

Any advice or pointers on how to get it working? What drivers are you using? Does your version of cakewalk 'see' the shuttlepro as a control surface in the cakewalk  Edit/Preferences menu? (mine doesn't, even though some keys seem to work so Cakewalk must be seeing the shuttlepro at least partially).

Any help appreciated. 

2 hours ago, map23 said:

Just tried to connect and setup my old ShuttlePROv2 to cakewalk by Bandlab and am struggling to get it to work. 

Can I ask those who replied to this thread how they went about getting it to work - which drivers did you use, and what options did you select in Cakewalk? 

Here's what I tried: 

* I used the Windows 10  driver from the ContourDesigns website - the one for the current Multimedia Controller Pro 2 - it looks identical to the one I have, even though mine is called a ShuttlePRO v2 - same number of buttons, same layout etc. 

* When I boot up the controller app to select the configuration for the current version of Cakewalk, I can only see older versions of Cakewalk SONAR listed (i.e. Sonar 3 SE, Sonar 3 PE, Cakewalk Project 5 - but not the current Cakewalk by Bandlab.  I've tried various options from the list and none seem to talk to my version of Cakewalk. 

* I then tried to program a few of the Shuttlepro keys using the cakewalk keyboard shortcuts and managed to get some of the shuttlepro buttons to work - i.e. play, goto start, goto next marker. However , the shuttle wheels do nothing. so I can't use them to jog quickly through the timeline. 

Any advice or pointers on how to get it working? What drivers are you using? Does your version of cakewalk 'see' the shuttlepro as a control surface in the cakewalk  Edit/Preferences menu? (mine doesn't, even though some keys seem to work so Cakewalk must be seeing the shuttlepro at least partially).

Any help appreciated. 

The ShuttlePro is not seen as a control surface in cakewalk. Basically, the ShuttlePro is nothing more than an enhanced keyboard emulator, of which its software recognizes which program currently has the focus, switching the mapping profiles to the focussed program. It's a simple but very effective and powerful approach.

When you hover your mouse over the control panel software in your system tray, a tooltip will tell you which software has the focus. So when you have Cakewalk active, go check what your control panel is currently focussed on (which should be "cakewalk.exe"), and then check if you have a matching profile for that executable. Open the ShuttlePro control panel to see what the profile is. There are indeed some older versions listed, but I strongly advise you to setup your own profile.

I have been using the ShuttlePro for 10+ years (v1, recently got a v2), and I feel handicapped without it. The jogwheel moves the playing position along the timeline (ctrl + page-up/down), buttons above the jogwheel are mapped to the various toolbar options, and I have play/record/rewind programmed on the lower buttons.

• 2 months later...

These are the setting I use. I don't have all the buttons mapped but it should be easy to mapped others. The buttons I have mapped are  commented except for the jog and shuttle wheel as they are self explanatory. Rewind and Fast Forward have been mapped in Cakewalk to "[" and "]". These are then mapped as "smooth jog left" and "smooth jog right" in the Shuttle configuration. 

Cakewalk by Bandlb.pref