Catastrophic Failure on Bouncing a Track

I've been working with Cakewalk Bandlab support on this, but no resolution yet. I'm posting this in case it might help someone else.

Sometimes I get the "catastrophic failure" error when I select a group of tracks and bounce to a new track, usually my "final mix" track.

What I've found is I have an Instrument Track and I have Volume automation on that instrument, and I have the "Edit Filter = Volume". When that track is selected and I perform a bounce, it fails with a "catastrophic failure"

All I have to do is change the view to "Edit Filter = Clip". Then no problems

Fascinating! Haven't run into this one yet but normally don't use Instrument tracks. Curious if it's reproduceable here.

Nope. Even tried it with several unbounced split clips.   What Synth is causing it?

DYK?:
1. You can create Instrument tracks from separate Synth/MIDI tracks, but only one MIDI track can be selected.
2. You can separate Instrument tracks into Synth/MIDI tracks.
3. You can connect other MIDI tracks to Instrument tracks.

It happens in various projects regardless of what synth. I was able to reproduce it in a simple project with only a few Cakewalk supplied / supported synths and plug-ins.

It seems like you need to have several midi and instrument tracks selected, including at least one with a Volume automation envelope AND that track Edit Filter = Volume, and bounce them all down to a single track (like a master mix).

I've seen it happen with only 6 tracks.

I have a really clean new Intel brand PC - the NUC Enthusiast, Windows 11, and all hardware & software drivers up to date

Edited by Jim Stamper
clarification