MIDI Recording with Roland V-Drums TD-50X

Mark Pryor

I can record MIDI from the Roland V-Drums TD-50X and playback of that MIDI works just fine. 

The problem is when I'm playing I am hearing the latent version from the software as well as the live audio from the TD-50X so the sound is reverbed.  

My headphones are connected to the TD-50X.   Track 1 is a MIDI track that has Input set to the the TD-50X Omni and the output is TD-50X.  

I feel like this problem would be resolved if I could turn off the monitor of track 1, but this DAW doesn't seem to have a "monitor" button.  The "manual mute"  will mute the track during playback so this isn't what I want.   

Maybe because of the metronome in Cakewalk??    I see the "Disable Input Monitoring During Playback" setting in preferences but this doesn't change the reverb mix in the headphones. 

I guess what I want is sound transported through the TD-50X from Cakewalk only during playback.  

There will always be system latency. A/D converter, Audio Buffer and so on. With a real good ASIO audio interface you can use a lower buffer setting that can help  but  sometimes low buffers can cause audio glitches if your computer is not up to the task. 

So best way to record digital drums is to send Cakewalks output to an Aux input of the drum module plug your headphones in there as well and play along with that to record the midi track.That way there will be no latency heard.  
There’s also the option of connecting the audio output of the drums to your interface if you have one and use direct monitoring.  
Trying to use VST drums when recording will most always result in hearing a echo which is annoying.  Under optimized conditions you can make the echo shorter but it will always be there.
So as said above turn off input echo for the midi track so the VST is not playing live.  

Edited by John Vere

On 5/10/2023 at 9:55 AM, 57Gregy said:

Welcome to the forum.
Turn the output off in the MIDI track.

Thank you for the replies.   I'm trying to figure out how to turn off the output for the midi track.  I don't see that option in the pull down menu.  Attached is a picture.   

A few other questions I'm trying to figure out:

2) what doe those weird thin lines in the the midi track mean?

3) how do I modify the midi data (click, drag, etc)

Thanks again. 

2023-05-13 11_55_22-Clipboard.jpg

22 hours ago, Mark Pryor said:

Thank you for the replies.   I'm trying to figure out how to turn off the output for the midi track.  I don't see that option in the pull down menu.  Attached is a picture.   

A few other questions I'm trying to figure out:

2) what doe those weird thin lines in the the midi track mean?

3) how do I modify the midi data (click, drag, etc)

Thanks again. 

2023-05-13 11_55_22-Clipboard.jpg

At the top in the box that reads "Custom", change that to "All" and you will see all the controls. Then you select the 'O' for output and set it to nothing.
Oh, wait. Looking a little closer, you already have an out. I seldom use Drum Maps (I probably should). I'm not sure how to set that to 'None'. Look in the Drum Map Manager.
The vertical lines are some MIDI control messages, most likely Velocity. When opened in the Controller Pane, they can be adjusted, dragged up or down to change the attack, loudness or timbre of the hit.