Specific Pro Tools comparison question

Joe_Southern

Question

I've used Cakewalk/Sonar since the beginning of time. Instruments were made of dinosaur bones when I first started. It's been perfect for me through the years and still is, but I have been thinking about a question.

Suppose for simplicity, I have several stems - guitar, vocals, bass, drums, etc.

Now, if I bring those into cakewalk and pro tools and then in theory, just say I mixed them the same - same plug in's etc at same settings.

My question is that when those are mixed by the algorithm in the programs themself, is there a noticeable difference in how each program processes the files? Do the mixes end up about the same?

I see lots of things about the operation of the two programs, but never anything kind of breaking it down like in my example. Has anyone done this to give some insight?

I wonder because my vocals sound so crappy (:

2 hours ago, John Nelson said:

One little problem with this software: it's a plug-in, and therefore has to run inside a host. So I'd be listening to my different audio files as presented by a single host's playback engine. Music Bee, one of my favorite bit-perfect audio players, does allow hosting of VST's, but it's still a 32-bit application, and HOFA have graduated to the 64-bit only category.

I also found this: https://lacinato.com/cm/software/othersoft/abx

But it plays back using system audio rather than WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO, so I'd be trying to do critical listening through the Windows mixer.😣